2000 jeep wrangler.suspension fix

BarryJoe

Having a jerk to one side when driving on freeway when letting off gas, has a 4 inch lift with all the right stuff.any ideas?

The reason I asked if it jerked to the right is my yj does the same thing when I let off. I've come to believe it's my suspension unloading because if I get on it in the lower gears it's pretty obvious as you can feel the front left start to lift,pulling me to the left, then the exact opposite reaction once the torque disappears. It's twice as bad if I don't press in the clutch, the engine braking providing torque in the opposite direction can throw me over a good 4 or 5 feet if I'm not careful. The few other lifted wranglers I've ridden in(yj's and tj's) have all had the same problem. As for a fix, check your control arm bushings in the rear I'm not sure what all can be done with the coil springs. On mine I plan to run a longer leaf spring perch when I put the ford 8.8 in to try and keep the springs from wrapping up. Important since I plan to run a turbo in the next year or two and the added power won't help.

My analysis to this condition is that the steering linkage pulls and pushes as it collapses and retracts between the axle and the frame, where as the steering gear box is hard mounted on the frame and the steering linkage/ draglink is on the axle. The softer the blow collapsing, i.e. decelerating or braking will cause less pull to one side and the opposite goes on accelerating. Is this accurate?

Hard braking vs soft braking doesn't affect how hard it pulls and braking from a coast causes no pull(at least not in my case). It's only when the engine applies power and lets off that it pulls one way or the other.

Could be some really worn control arm bushings, or a rear locker. The latter would likely bang when it locks/unlocks.

ya all your ideas are good. put on the lift today and found the left rear track arm bushing worn. going to replace the bushings then check it out. thanks

check your front axle U joints. one that is frozen/binding will cause that.

Back