76 Jeep J10 AMC 360 Need help

KellyRene

Ok I'm new here, But am trying to get some answers for my fiance..

We've got a 76 J10 with an AMC 360. My fiance got it from a guy not to long ago, and it just doesn't seem to be completely right..

The guy got a rebuilt surefire engine from autozone, but also put an Edelbrock performance cam in. We don't know which one, and we can't get a hold of the guy. From what I'm to understand, everything else is stock on the truck engine wise, even the 2 bbl carb.

Once the truck warms up it will idle for about 5 minutes then starts to shutdown. During the process it is still getting air and gas.. But he tried to gun it today and popped the clutch and it spun the dulley tires all the way up the driveway.. But once you let off it dies.

He had a mechanic look over the engine. The guy couldn't find anything except for he said the carb needed to be rebuilt. But the carb seems to be ok. Its feeding fuel like its supposed to and it and feeding air..

Any suggestions? Unfortunately, this is his only means of transportation and he is getting really frustrated with it and is getting ready to scrap it..

I'm 600 miles away and can't really do much to help except research. So please any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated because it is a nice truck and we need it.

:???:

Oh and We have checked the timing and we have it set to manufactures specs of 5 degree btdc so dunno if we need to advance the timing..

Maybe an intake leak, if you haven't already checked that. Spray some carb cleaner around the intake where it seals and the carb base, if it changes the idle, it's got a leak. Also might check and see if the valves are a little tight.

Ok I will check into that as far as I know, there isn't any leaks, I was just on the phone with him and we were going over specs on the cams that edelbrock has for this engine and came to the conclusion as to which one it is. Does the timing need to be adjusted when you have an aftermarket cam?

Edelbrock.com - AMC Camshafts and Matching Components
We figured out that its the Performer Plus, because this cam does not have the adjustable push rods or rocker arms..

I have mine set around 5 degrees on the timing. It's likely to be a performer cam if it is the Edelbrock. I have the same setup. Also check for spark when it dies. You can do this with the use of timing light while its running. Monitor the flash fom the timing light and IF the light stops flashing followed by the engine stall, i would suspect that the ignition might be the culprit. IF this is the case, check the the coil for overheating, resistor and the ECU connectors.

Sounds like it is an electrical. I too have a similar set up. Check your grounds and the connections on the resistor. Also, you may have a dysfunctional coil. By the way, how old is the distributor?

So it sounds like an electrical problem but are there any noises that follow or come with the stall? Such as a squeal, pop, bang, or knocking.

Ok well apparently I must have been the carb lol. my fiance and his friend did some treaking and its running good now. Now it seems something in the suspension or the axle is binding. I'm not sure. I'm home now so I'm going to try and drive and see what he is talking about

Are these Jeeps suppose to have springs up front? I'm thinking not lol, but I'm about to take a look at the front end to see whats binding... Oh yea they are like coil springs..

Ok so we found out the front caliper is locking up, but the truck it self is running strong. So I'm going to pick up caliper rebuild kits.. But I love this truck! Its a beast

Yea I'm happy. Now if it wasn't such a gas hog I would drive it back to MS lol

Oh and since a caliper was so cheap we just picked up one and we are going to replace it today and then how the truck does..

Ok So i'm starting to love this truck more and more, Put a caliper on in the front and now it will actually move haha. Still needs some adjusting, Its running rich. I can even smoke the dullys! haha

Ok the truck was running great for a few days now. Untill I got low on gas yesterday and since then has been running like crap. So we took the carb of and having my fiance's cousin rebuild it. I hope thats all it is.

KellyRene said:
Ok the truck was running great for a few days now. Untill I got low on gas yesterday and since then has been running like crap. So we took the carb of and having my fiance's cousin rebuild it. I hope thats all it is.

The carb may have sucked up something bad.

Sounds like you have some crap in the fuel tank, if it sat for very long with a partially empty tank it will rust.

^he's got a point. I know its going to be a pain but you might want to just replace the tank just to cover your bases.

Back