Jeep Patriot Clanking Noise

aivzdog

I need some help/advice about a clanking/rattling noise that is coming from under the hood of my 2009 Jeep Patriot. I don't know if something is loose, broken or what. I am going to look under the hood tomorrow to see if I can find anything but was just looking for any help before letting a mechanic take advantage of me. I am going to give her a tune up also since she is over 100,000 miles now but want to get this noise figured out before it gets worse. I recorded the noise in a video.

Thanks
Anna

Welcome to Jeepz.com. Sorry to hear your jeep has developed a problem. Although I've no personal experience with the patriot or its engine , I thought I would draw attention to your thread in hopes that someone in our forum who has experience with this model and may have experienced a similar problem may be able to help . Just listening to your YouTube clip has me thinking its top end noise. Further research of which engine the 2009 has reveals a 2 liter and a 2.4 gas and diesel for both displacements. Waiting to see a post regarding your determination of where precisely you believe the noise ( engine or transmission) . Would like to ask if you've noticed any fluctuation of the tachometer while at idle or in gear . And does the noise get stronger at any time. Your right to ask this question now before the problem worsens since it does not sound like it's going to grenade yet but that can change fast. I'm sure you've already reached the determination NOT to drive the jeep until you've got a plan how to proceed. Not knowing which engine your model has , I was reading a little about each . Regardless of what I think or someone who has experience with this jeep and its engine , I hope you've got a plan to take the jeep to someone trustworthy who will not try to just get $$ from you by just diagnosing and not truly offer a solution. The problem is bad enough but it will only make things worse if you've no one to trust to repair your jeep. Let's hear from someone in our forum who may have experience with this jeep and engine(s). Hoping to hear back your determination of where you believe the noise originates as close as possible with consideration to whether you've any experience with engines or not. Wishing best of luck and hope all will be well soonest . You've done the right thing by addressing the problem early before making things worse by just ignoring it and driving until catastrophic failure happens. Again , wishing best of luck . Greg

Back