How to paint a Wrangler hardtop

Imakrazy

My back window was shot out with a bb gun one day when I had it off to go offroading, I had intended to just buy a new one because I wanted a black hartdop and I know the back windows run about 300$ with it being heated and tinted. So I figured I had nothing to lose with trying to paint it because I could just keep an eye out and get one off craigslist.

here’s the jeep before we started painting.

image001.jpg

First thing we did was remove the hardtop and put it standing up where the back window would normally be, luckily, I didn’t have to worry about my glass breaking. If I would have had a window I would have probably removed the hinges at the top of the glass, I believe there are 4 bolts to each one and it should come right off. Then we went to pepboys to stock up on spray paint and sandpaper. I bought 4 cans of black primer I cant remember what brand I went with, then 5 cans of krylon indoor/outdoor black gloss. Then I found clear cloat krylon spray paint and picked up 2 cans of that as well. I also don’t have a picture of the sandpaper I used but it was a fairly smooth I believe it was like a purple color and it was a 3 pack and it was more than enough.

5 cans of this

image002.jpg

2 cans of this

image003.jpg

So after we were completely stocked up and ready to go we started sanding. Also if your doing this outside you would obviously want to make sure theres nice weather. We started around 6 one night and didn’t have it done until noon the next day.

image004.jpg

Be sure to blow off all the dust after sanding and wipe down with a towel. We didn’t spray the hardtop down because I had washed my jeep the day before but it defintily wouldn’t have hurt to do it again. Taking your time and making sure you do a good job is a huge part of this project. After this was done a huge time consumer was covering the windows with newspaper. I did about 4 layers and had no problems when I peeled the paper off at the end. I also removed the grills that are on both sides towards the back window. They pop right out but the only way I could get them to stay in was gorilla glue when it came time to do that.

image005.jpg

So now its time to prime.

image006.jpg

This is at first frustrating to see streaks but as you continue you get better and when its completely primered it already looks 10times better than the tan. Once that was done we let it sit for a good hour and then started to shoot it with the gloss.

image007.jpg

This is our finished product after gloss. I used both cans of the clear coat once this dried and it makes it look more shiny I guess, I was hoping it would give it a longer lifespan.

image008.jpg

And finally we took the tape off the windows and put it back on my jeep to admire the results. It rained that whole weekend after and I was so nervous it was all going to wash off but I could rub my fingers on it rough and have no black come off. Ive had this done for about a month and a half now and still no complaints. Just ordered a window for the back im very happy with how it turned out. Hope I helped out even in the slightest if anyone else decides they want to do this.

THANKS FOR READING!!

Nice wright up! Now I won't be so in the dark when I try this. Lol

Im glad you posted this. I have had my jeep for about a year now and just bought a white hard top about a month ago my jeep is also red but I have the half doors and the upper doors are tan so as you can imagine it looks kind of goofy but I am very happy with the hard top it literally feels like I bought a new quieter jeep but I want the hard top to be either black or tan so now I know how you did and will prob give it a try here befor it gets cold and if I mess it up I will just rake it in to line x and have them do there thing once again thanks for all the info

I sold autobody supplies for 25 years. The bottom line is your prep work. I always have had very good luck with Sem products sold at most A/B suppliers. John

Looks good. I just restored an 87Yj and my top was already black. I prepped it out and washed it with TSP and then wiped it down with Prepsolve to get any silicones or wax residues off and sprayed it with Rustoleum satin black.Its not quite as glossy so its a little more forgiving if you have some blems.

You think the fender flairs would look good spray painted considering mine are really faded?

keep in mind that paint dries hard.If it bends it will crack or break off.
Auto makers have developed flex additives for paint to be applied to bumpers and body kits.Although this may work the paint and materials will far exceed the cost of new flares.

Great tutorial!! We are getting ready to paint the inside of our top. American flag.....oh yeah!! :)

Question on the 'clear coat'

I am going to going flat black. I don't want the gloss. Do I still need to do the clear coat or is there a flat clear coat?

hey duckkiller,I used rustolium satin black on my top,no clearcoat and its been on a year with washing etc.. and still looks great.
The key is prep.
I used a red scotchbright pad,TSP to remove any grease oil and dirt,and then applied 2-3 coats for good coverage.No primer needed.It took 3-4 cans but looks great!
I also did a friends at the same time and it too is holding up nicely.
The clear coat and or gloss will be too shiney and will not appear to look stock.
The satin is a perfect match as the new tops are not a gloss finish.
Comrare the two before you start and avoid any dissaointments

Attachments

• jeep paint 017.jpg
    jeep paint 017.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 19,455
hey duckkiller,I used rustolium satin black on my top,no clearcoat and its been on a year with washing etc.. and still looks great.
The key is prep.
I used a red scotchbright pad,TSP to remove any grease oil and dirt,and then applied 2-3 coats for good coverage.No primer needed.It took 3-4 cans but looks great!
I also did a friends at the same time and it too is holding up nicely.
The clear coat and or gloss will be too shiney and will not appear to look stock.
The satin is a perfect match as the new tops are not a gloss finish.
Comrare the two before you start and avoid any dissaointments

I was going to use the same paint I use on my duck boats. Parker Coatings I was almost thinking 'sand tan' on the body since I can buy the gallon for 'regular' painting and get the rattle cans for where I screw up.

i feel the clearcoat only looked good for a few days and the shine wears quick. it might just be a false sense of security

Back