Found my "clunk"... GOOD THING!

TwistedCU

My front driveshaft u-joint is whacking my exhaust header. Not good, but I think an adjustable trackbar will solve it. when I drilled& relocated the track bar mount at the axle, the axle was centered - at least I thought it was. Well it is shifted slightly toward the pass side and this is the root of the problem. Is it possible that an alignment could have changed the position of tha axle? I'm thinking not, but I took it to get the alignment immediately after I relocated the track bar.

Side note - the control arms are hitting the shock mounts, but only at extreme flex, so this needs to be addressed too, but it is not as urgent.

I'll take a pic after dinner...

fromfrontJPG-2.jpg

dsideJPG-2.jpg

fromrearJPG-2.jpg

My old XJ did that. I just beat the exhaust in a little to get by for a while and then when I lifted the jeep 3" the driveshaft missed to exhaust all together.

I know Iam not much help. But I thought I would share my experienv

Now I'm told that the header is not stock. This explains alot. The 2 pipes are larger than the stock pipe and this combined with my TC drop leaves me in a bind. I'm getting an adj. Trackbar Monday, but it looks like I will probably have to do a SYE after all. :(

This has cost me a hell of alot more than I anticipated. The Mrs. is going to love this one... :roll:

My YJ was soooo simple
crybaby-2.gif

TJ Wrangler Quirks

Well they guy was apparently wrong, the exhaust is stock. I put a RE adj. Trackbar on today and the axle is really centered this time. I got the alignment done (again) and took it over some of the spots where it hit before and it seems fine now. True test will be when I disconnect the swaybar and hit a trail, but it is much better.

Not sure what I was thinking the TC drop had to do with it, if anything it probably would have been worse without it. Braincramp I guess.

What very little bump steer I had (it was really just a little shimmy on bumps) is gone now too.

It's finally coming together.

Glad to here. It's a process isn't it. Darn things are so tempermental. I still haven't figured why the death wobble is unfixable by every pro I've taken it to. Well, I've taken it to 2 guys, but still. Anywhoo, the journey continues.

mingez said:
Glad to here. It's a process isn't it. Darn things are so tempermental. I still haven't figured why the death wobble is unfixable by every pro I've taken it to. Well, I've taken it to 2 guys, but still. Anywhoo, the journey continues.

The more I look at the steering setup on these things the less they make sense:
REATBOMEstabilizerJPG-2.jpg

As for your DW, if the axle is centered, your front end is aligned, and you have a decent stabilizer, you might try a second coil spring retainer clamp at the bottow of your coil springs. Not a solution to the actual problem, but I read on NAXJA a few times it helps. Try a search on there?

I wonder why my STOCK 2001 XJ has a little bump steer. Did you have this problem Twisted? I guess I will have to run a steering stabilizer.

pictures

IcyFridge said:
I wonder why my STOCK 2001 XJ has a little bump steer. Did you have this problem Twisted? I guess I will have to run a steering stabilizer.
No I didn't. How many miles do you have on it? The trackbar could be worn or the bushings could be shot. DO you have stock size tires or are they bigger? If they are bigger than 235x75r15's I would replace the stabilizer with something better than the stock one.

Back