synthetic oil

chris0817

Re: INSANE Front end wobble on HWY ?

i just purchased a 95 cheeroke. the previous owner always used synthetic oil in it . i would like to switch back to a good quality standard type oil . Is there anything special i need to do
thanx
chris

No there is nothing you have to do. Just a regular oil change is fine. Any reason (besides price) you dont want to use synthetic?

People are so turned off by the price of Syn. oil...but contrary to what you might here from oil lube tech and such, Synthetic oil really can wait longer for an oil change. And if you wait twice as long (6k instead of 3k miles) you are really paying about the same amount.

PS Walmart sells damn cheap Synthetic.

Oil should be changed every 3K miles no matter how long it goes before breaking down. Blow-by still will cause it to get dirty and although it may hold it's viscosity the impurities can damage the motor.

RE: Hey Mingez, Is this true?

I have to agree. I change my oil every 3,000 no matter what. And you can't rely on whether it looks dark or not either. Whether you go with Sythetic or not is your choice. I use it and like it. I have seen it keep a motor running when it should have ate itself.

I don't know all the specifics and such, but I found that when I ran synthetic, it felt like the engine ran smoother, worked easier... I faithfully change my oil at 3K, when I am a little bit over, I panic... I want my Jeep to last me a good long time...

RE: Re: RE: Yep

Ok I had to get involved. This is what I do for a living.

The life of the oil has to do with the type of engine, driving conditions, and enviornment.
I drive a Taurus for a work car and have sent my used oil back to Exxon for lab analysis. My driving and my engine can usually go right up to 4300 to 4600 miles before the oil becomes saturated with combustion byproducts, once that happens the oil soaks up all it can and suspends it until your next drain. Push it a little too far and you make deposits. The ad pack was still about 40% there at those miles.
If the oil looks dirty, that is a good thing. It is holding the particles in suspension.

No one can say for sure how long their engine will go without oil analysis and not just one but ususally a series of 3 or 4 per year to get a good baseline going.

I use conventional motor oil which is all built to the lowest minumum specs in the little donut on the bottle.
Synthetics are good, esp in cold starts and extreme hot, Synthetic blends are mostly a rip-off, they only have to have about 10% synthetic base stock to be called that.
High mileage oils have a seal swell additive to prevent and stop minor leaks.

I use Mobil 1 in every vehicle I own! I strongly recommend the Mobil 1 (synthetic).

Back