Thread: XJ Axle Swap

XJ Axle Swap

What does everybody think about the ford 8.8 axle swap for a cherokee.
    And does anyone know where any articles are on the swap?
    I know that 95 and up explorers have disc brakes but thats about it.

Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator

Re: XJ Axle Swap

This article has a ton of info and a bunch of links to web articles. I'm wrapping up swapping an 8.8 into the rear of My '88 Comanche.
    http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=674123

90Xjay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bounty__Hunter
    This article has a ton of info and a bunch of links to web articles. I'm wrapping up swapping an 8.8 into the rear of My '88 Comanche.
    http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=674123

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2003/xj88/

TwistedCU is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 85zebracherokee
    What does everybody think about the ford 8.8 axle swap for a cherokee.
    That's a good choice, look for one with the limited slip if you don't plan on adding a locker. Some came with 4.10 gears so, you may want to look for one of those if you want, then you'd only have to regear the front axle

I was thinking about a locker. and a set of 4.10's would help out a ton.Right now I have a 93 cherokee 4.0 5-speed with 3.07's which is great on fuel economy but once I get a lift and bigger tires that will really suck, as I found out on a 90 cherokee that I had.

nica89yj is offline Member

Man i want a Ford 8.8 for my 89 YJ! What gearing does my wrangler have? I would not like to regear and upgrade to a ford 8.8 at the same time. Ive read that some 8.8s have the same gear ratio that the wrangler has, allowing u to skip the regear process.( I know its not the YJ forum but it was relevant to current post:)
    Last edited by nica89yj; 06-19-2006 at 04:47 PM.

Chapes1010 is offline Member

Why dont you try finding a Ford 9" they are stonger and easier to work on, but harder to find in some cases. My cherokee has one in the back and i have 2 spares sitting at my buddys just incase it wants to break which i doubt will happen i have a heavy right foot but i need it with a 4.0.
    Matt Chapin

|_______
    [l_|__\___\,___
    l--___--_[=lllllll=]
    ()_)' ' ()_)---o-)_)

1989 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 liter 4inch custom lift, welded rear end, 32's for now.

Future Plans, 36" Swamper SX's, Ford 9" Rear end Spool, Ford High Pinion Dana 44 Front Powertrax Lockright, 4.88 gears, 8 - 10 inches of lift, SYE kit, Good enough for a winter project

Jeepr is offline Senior Member

It's a good swap if you have a Dana 35. Not really worth the investment if you have a corporate 8.25.

Of course if you find one with 4.11s and discs it would be a pretty nice swap. It will probably cost more than regearing your Corporate axle, but you will have disc brakes.

Another good swap is a factory Dana 44 if you can find one, they usually have 3.75 gears .

I do have the 8.25, but parts are too expensive for them. And I really would like the disc brakes. Plus if the axle breaks the 8.8 seems to be alot easier to find than the 8.25.

Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepr
    It's a good swap if you have a Dana 35. Not really worth the investment if you have a corporate 8.25.
    I disagree, it's worth it regardless of having an 8.25 rear. The 27spline 8.25 isn't much stronger than a D35 and the later 29spline 8.25 is only marginally stronger than the D35. Jumping up to the 8.8 is a great upgrade in terms of strength, disc brakes, and the OEM availabilty of limited slips and gearing down to 4.10.

currupt4130 is offline VT Hokie

You do understand a 44 is 30 spline right, the later 8.25 isn't marginally stronger than a 35. It is stronger, period.
    06 VW (hardcore crawler)

"The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir

currupt4130 is offline VT Hokie

Quote Originally Posted by Chapes1010
    Why dont you try finding a Ford 9" they are stonger and easier to work on, but harder to find in some cases. My cherokee has one in the back and i have 2 spares sitting at my buddys just incase it wants to break which i doubt will happen i have a heavy right foot but i need it with a 4.0.
    Please find me a ford 9 that is close to stock width for a XJ/YJ/TJ, has a 5x4.5 pattern, and isn't in crap shape.
    06 VW (hardcore crawler)

"The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir

90Xjay is offline Senior Member

Somebody else had a wonderful tech article full of pics of a 94 XJ axle swap to an 8.8. It covered everything even how to measure to re-weld the shock mounts and spring perches.. I can't find that on the web now..

Quote Originally Posted by currupt4130
    Please find me a ford 9 that is close to stock width for a XJ/YJ/TJ, has a 5x4.5 pattern, and isn't in crap shape.
    ones out of shoebox broncos are almost perfect but you need wheel spacers, and yeah you probably cant find any with 5X4.5 i guess im used to it i have both ford axles in mine a 9"and a dana 44 so i dont have to worry about the 5x4.5 situation mines bot 5x5.5 front and rear
    Matt Chapin

|_______
    [l_|__\___\,___
    l--___--_[=lllllll=]
    ()_)' ' ()_)---o-)_)

Future Plans, 36" Swamper SX's, Ford 9" Rear end Spool, Ford High Pinion Dana 44 Front Powertrax Lockright, 4.88 gears, 8 - 10 inches of lift, SYE kit, Good enough for a winter project

Quote Originally Posted by currupt4130
    ones out of shoebox broncos are almost perfect but you need wheel spacers, and yeah you probably cant find any with 5X4.5 i guess im used to it i have both ford axles in mine a 9"and a dana 44 so i dont have to worry about the 5x4.5 situation mines bot 5x5.5 front and rear
    Matt Chapin

|_______
    [l_|__\___\,___
    l--___--_[=lllllll=]
    ()_)' ' ()_)---o-)_)