head gasket?

89cherokee

There is some oil leaking from the head gasket. I do not see oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. Both are still pretty clean. I do see some water vapor out of the tailpipe on startup. My question is...can the head gasket be re-torqued down to tighten it up? Or am I looking at replacing the head gasket?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks for your reply Bounty Hunter. BTW, have you ever tried a product called "Steel Seal"? It is supposed to work in the coolant system to seal the head gasket. Just curious if you, or any forum readers, have heard if it really works? Thanks again.

junk dont do it. its just like putting the crap in the anti freeze. it might work but not a perment fix. also clogs up system. had friend lose engine over that stuff!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the quick reply Lippy! I was kicking the steel seal idea around as a quick fix...but now its off to head gasket city this weekend. Thanks again.

Head gasket solved the problem. To recap the oil leak story...I replaced the "O" ring under the oil filter (it was hard and brittle), I replaced the oil pan gasket and rear oil seal, and I replaced the valve cover gasket. As we know, problem solving goes from cheap and easy repair to longer time more expensive repair. Luckily the head gasket was not that expensive. Someone on this forum (sorry I can't find it to give credit) listed every place the cherokee could leak oil. Now I've replaced them all and it does not leak. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions and offered help.

Head gasket solved the problem. To recap the oil leak story...I replaced the "O" ring under the oil filter (it was hard and brittle), I replaced the oil pan gasket and rear oil seal, and I replaced the valve cover gasket. As we know, problem solving goes from cheap and easy repair to longer time more expensive repair. Luckily the head gasket was not that expensive. Someone on this forum (sorry I can't find it to give credit) listed every place the cherokee could leak oil. Now I've replaced them all and it does not leak. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions and offered help.

Cool! Another satisfied Jeepz.com Member!!8)

Back