injector replacement

B192734

Has anyone ever replaced their injectors with aftermarkets? I am looking at starting to replace some engine componenets, but wasn't sure if there was anything that had to be done once installation was done. Like resetting computers or adjusting anything.

Then I realize...

I may have asked this before and totally forgot, so if that's true, I apologize. But I would still like to hear any thoughts about it.

Have a great day all!

What year and what engine?

I replaced the injectors in my '95 2.5L with those from a Ford v8, went from a single injector nozzle to 4 per injector. If the injectors are plug'n'play into your engine you don't have to do anything else.

It takes most computer controlled engines several key cycles to learn changes in operating perameters, so disconnecting the battery and grounding the pos. cable for a short time wouldn't be a bad idea. It'll reset the computer and possibly make it adapt quicker to the change.

Also you might consider the Ford Racing / Bosch Design III injectors. These are an excellent replacement for the stock injectors in the 87-90 Renix 4.0L. They feature the 4 hole design, along with a disc type pintle, making them faster, and more accurate. For the 91-95 4.0L, there is a set of 22.5# injectors that feature the 4 hole design, but I havent found them in a design III yet. If you desire to boost performance, you might need to go with a throttle body, the injectors, and a MAP adjuster.

Well mine is a 2000 4.0L. I think this weekend I am going to be tearing a bunch of stuff apart trying to fix a problem that I'm having in the sterring/suspension. I think it's my Pittman arm or a trac bar most likely. We'll see. I'm gonna change out all the oil and filters and everything, and I think that the next oil change is going to be the injector time. depending on if I actually have any money or not...I assume that they shouldn't be hard to change, right? Should just pull the old ones out and connect the new?

Yep. I would make sure to have new o-rings. To make it easier, I usually oil the o-rings prior to installation. Also, when pressing the new injectors into the fuel rail, be very careful not to cut the o-rings. To do it carefully, you will need to roll the injector, with the new o-ring, in a circle, while pressing it into the rail. And by rolling, I do not mean spin, more of a rocking motion, but in a circle, not side to side. Once in the rail, line up the rail, and the injectors with their holes, and slide into place. You will need to rock into place, while pressing the rail as evenly as possible to get the injectors to seat in their bores. You should also ensure the bores are as clear of debris as possible. Good Luck.

Oh yeah, check the connectors on the injectors in your jeep, there are 2 types of connectors. You want to make sure you get the correct ones, or you will need to wire in different connectors.

Back