4-cylinder Cherokees?

larrymo49

I know that more is better in the power department...but with the price of gas today I am trying to find a '90s 4 cyl. Cherokee with a manual 5 spd. and no power windows, locks, etc.

I have looked online nationwide and can't even find one listed...(well, I did find an old '84 Cherokee that was pretty worn out here in Texas).

Do any of you have a Cherokee as described above?

If you do...would you tell me how you like it and if you have any suggestions as to whether or not this is the way to go?

I want something to carry several passengers and some camping equipment to the desert (about 500 miles away), yet not cost a fortune in gas.

My MJ Comanche 4.0L has everything listed above except the 4-cyl. and passenger space.

Any help appreciated...

Larry

Looks like they do exist, but you aren't going to save much money (unless you go with the 2wd). These numbers are from Fuel Economy and are for a 1999 Cherokee.

Type, engine, Transmission, MPG city, MPG highway, Anual fuel cost

Jeep Cherokee 2WD
4 cyl, 2.5 L, Automatic 3-spd, Regular 16 20 $2628

Jeep Cherokee 2WD
4 cyl, 2.5 L, Manual 5-spd, Regular 18 23 $2235

Jeep Cherokee 2WD
6 cyl, 4 L, Automatic 4-spd, Regular 14 20 $2794

Jeep Cherokee 2WD
6 cyl, 4 L, Manual 5-spd, Regular 16 22 $2485

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2WD
6 cyl, 4 L, Automatic 4-spd, Regular 14 19 $2794

Jeep Cherokee 4WD
4 cyl, 2.5 L, Manual 5-spd, Regular 16 18 $2628

Jeep Cherokee 4WD
6 cyl, 4 L, Automatic 4-spd, Regular 14 19 $2794

Jeep Cherokee 4WD
6 cyl, 4 L, Manual 5-spd, Regular 15 20 $2628

If you went with a 2wd 5spd and kept the loads light, you'd see some good results from the '91+ MPFI 2.5L engine. But with a few friends and camping gear that 4banger will be struggling and the end results would be similar to that of the 4.0L engine that doesn't have to work as hard to do the same thing.

I've got a 4banger and love it, lots of power mods, fun to drive, and good mileage. But for your intended use I don't think there will be much to gain.

Check out 4BangerJP.com - Index for more 2.5L info.

I had a '94 with the 2.5 5 speed 4x4 2 door, no power windows or locks. it did have A/C.
I liked it, it did have a little pep to it but not enough for me. I never figured out gas mileage but it was not terrible.

Thanks for the great responses...

I guess it would be best to stay with the 6 cyl. when power is so much better with little or no difference in gas mileage.

I'm having a difficult time finding even basic 4.0L Cherokees 4x4 ('90s) with no frills and 5 spd. manual...are they rare or what?

Larry

Never thought of it that way Dennis!

I have been on Craigs List, Auto Trader and several others.

Hard to come by unless I want to travel 1000 miles +...and even then not too many anywhere for sale!

Thanks,

Larry

I have a '93 with the 2.5 4cyl in it. It gets around 20 miles to the gallon. It is only two wheel drive, but have been through the Ocala National Forest with it on some very deep sand trails. The 4x4 versions have the lower gear stes that make up for the difference of not having the 6 cyl. Sand posses the problem of having to keep steady headway while not digging in. The 4 cyl will keep the tires rolling but not spin them causing you to bottom out. I like my 4 cyl.

i have a 99 cherokee 2wd 4dr 4cy 2.5l 5spd but it runs really ruff....it idles high an the transmission likes to stick...but its in great condition...i think that the engine an transmission combo just aint that great theres no power an the gear ratio's suck...

'99 shouldn't run too bad, have you considered fixing whatever is causing it to run rough?

Switching the transmission fluid to Redline MT90 will likely improve the shifting.

Fix those two problems and you may be much more happy with it.

i have a 99 cherokee 2wd 4dr 4cy 2.5l 5spd but it runs really ruff....it idles high an the transmission likes to stick...but its in great condition...i think that the engine an transmission combo just aint that great theres no power an the gear ratio's suck...

How many miles do you have on Jeep 4 cyl?

Hey Larry. My friend has a 95 4cyl Cherokee to sell. Are you still looking?
George
I know that more is better in the power department...but with the price of gas today I am trying to find a '90s 4 cyl. Cherokee with a manual 5 spd. and no power windows, locks, etc.

I have looked online nationwide and can't even find one listed...(well, I did find an old '84 Cherokee that was pretty worn out here in Texas).

Do any of you have a Cherokee as described above?

If you do...would you tell me how you like it and if you have any suggestions as to whether or not this is the way to go?

I want something to carry several passengers and some camping equipment to the desert (about 500 miles away), yet not cost a fortune in gas.

My MJ Comanche 4.0L has everything listed above except the 4-cyl. and passenger space.

Any help appreciated...

Larry

George

Not any more George. That was some time ago and since then I bought the '95 Wrangler you see here. Thanks anyway.

Larry

George

where is it at? how much does he want? i had a late model one, 99, 2k, 01 or so and it was great. it was sporty and fun to drive plus got great mileage. i need one for my wife's aunt though because she takes care of grandma

He is in Cape Canaveral Florida, not far from the Space Shuttle launch center. He's asking $2100... 163K miles... 2WD.

Old Thread but, I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 2.5L 4cyl 5 speed manual. I use it as a daily driver and I actually maybe put $40 in every 2-weeks. So $20 weekly but that's not as bad as my old car. I had a 4 cyl ford fusion SE with a turbo on it and my god it drank more gas than I thought it would, more than the jeep unless im crazy.

Back