A/C Clutch removal problems

yesitsmedoug

I have a 98 Cherokee sport. The A/C clutch started rattling and making all kinds of noise. I have been looking at replacing the clutch bearing that are shot but I am having trouble getting the pulley removed so I can replace the bearings.

I have removed the outer bolt that holds the clutch plate on, removed the clutch plate, the snap ring and now I am to the point of trying to remove the pulley. It is loose as the bearings are completely shot and the bearing housing has been destroyed and is falling apart. I pulled out what looks like part of the bearing housing and I can see what looks like two rows (not sure what else to call them but two channels where the bearings are rather than the standard single channel bearing). I have tried using a pulley puller and still cannot get the pulley to budge.

Am I missing something? Is there another not or snap ring somewhere that I am missing? Do I just have to use more force?

Here is a picture - webhostgalaxy.com/acclutch.jpg (hope this works, it won't let me post a link or picture.

Any help would be appreciated.

There are at least 2 Special tools Required to service the clutch and coil assembly on your a/c compressor. if you dont have a shaft protector/ puller and a clutch plate puller i recommend that you take it to a Napa or Carquest auto parts house for them to remove it for you. it will be a small price to pay rather than taking a chance of damaging the shaft and end up replacing the whole compressor. Just a suggestion.

Yes I can get access to these special tools now that I know what they are.

Does the shaft protector some how help in removing the bearing ring? It seems that is my problem. It looks as though the pulley is connected to the outer side of the bearing and the bearing just slips of the shaft. Problem is that they all seem to be stuck. I guess I'm looking to see if there is some other device that catches/locks the pulley/bearing/shaft together?

here's a couple of illustrations of the tools.

Attachments

• clutch removal.bmp
    282.9 KB · Views: 8,913
  • untitled.bmp
    286.1 KB · Views: 4,165

Ok, so I could not get the clutch off and thats ok because I have decided to replace the entire thing because the clutch is in pretty horrible condition and I think I can get a compressor around the same price as a new clutch

I know this is not Jeep or Cherokee specific, does anybody know what is needed to seal the manifold connector once I take the old compressor out? There are two small holes. I am going to install a bypass pulley for now and worry about putting a new compressor in next spring so I need to seal up the system to protect it.

go to NAPA or Carquest and show them the a/c lines you want to plug up. make sur it's got a tight seal to keep the moisture out.

Back