Speedometer not working.

scoobysteve

Hey guys, I have a question. My 2005 Liberty's speedometer has stopped working. It stopped once before and they replaced the vehicle spped sensor. That was 6 months ago. Now it has stopped again. I did the code check and got a P1501 Vehicle speed circuit intermittent. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean the wiring my be faulty or is the sensor gone bad again?:???:

It means that the INTERMITTENT Dtc COULD be a Wiring issue, not necesarilly the Sensor itself.. Is this a 2Wd or a 4Wd? what engine? 3.7L ,2.4L or 2.8 Diesel?

Hey SteelHeadz, thanks for the quick reply. It's my daughter's ride so Im not sure of the engine size but it's 2wd gas burner. I had her do the "key" over the phone to get the code for me. Her husband is no help so I can't call them back to get a engine size. I'll have to get that tomorrow.
Anyway, if it's a wiring problem, is it a simple wiring harness or short lead of wires with a connector on each end?

Thats where i would start. look for rub thru's pinched wire or a bad connection to the speed sensor. a bad speed sensor within six months just doesn't sound right.BTW, that DTC i think should be a P0501. DTC's for speed sensors are in the 500's.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't have enough post to use the PM feature. Her engine is a 3.7L, but I don't know if it has ABS or not.

Last edited:
There are two directions this can go, one is with ABS and one Witout ABS. 2 more post and you should be able to send a P.M...

Sorry SteelHeadz, somone threw away the paper I had the serial number written on. I'll try to get that today. Also, I'll have to pin the daughter down long enough to look at the wiring and connector. I'm off during the week so it makes it hard sometimes to work around everyone around here to get things done.
BTW, I really appreciate you staying on top of this issue. Most forums I've ever had dealings with the help and advice goes away after the first day you make the post. I guess they seem to get buried down the way.

Thanks a million!

Oh one more thing. When checking the connector itself, can I use an ohm meter to get some sort of reading?

Oh one more thing. When checking the connector itself, can I use an ohm meter to get some sort of reading?
You are Welcome Sir. and yes a multimeter is the best tool for this job. i will get you some info. and directions this afternoon or evening, depends on how long i get to sit behind my computer today.

Sorry about the format, i accidentally opened it on my word pad. If this format doesn't work, let me know and i'll redo it on my powerpoint or mircrosoft word. i hope this helps.

Attachments

• New Text Document.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 1,345
WOW! That is a mouth full SteelHeadz, I'm not sure I understand all that. Anyway, my comouter crashed the other nioght, jus got it going. Here are the last 8 of the VIN ....5W506057.
I will try to look at the connector just as soon as I can get her to stand still long enough, not to mention, it has turned off really cold here.

Thanks,

Steve-O

Other than the P.M. i sent you, there is also an open Recall on that Jeep for the F23 Lower ball joint recall. you need to get that taken care of as soon as possible before it fails. A dealership will perform that recall free of charge.

Thanks for the recal info. I'm assuming that it hasn't been done. Does the info you sent reflect that?????

Back