AMC V-8 Oil dipstick AND tube problems

Bigf350sd

Hi, I have an AMC 304, and when I purchased the Cherokee Chief, someone had replaced the factory dipstick with an aftermarket, adjustable one, apparently one of the "Help" items from a local parts store. Anyway, as I was ordering parts for my engine, I ordered a new dipstick tube from BJ's Offroad, and when I got it, it's considerably shorter than the one they had in the engine, and I am talking 5-6 inches shorter! I am betting that the one from BJ's is the correct one, as everything else Ive gotten from them has been, but, the thing that has me concerned, is what is the possibility of them having changed the tube also, making it nescessary for the longer stick? I don't have anyone else i know with an AMC V-8 to look at to compare locations of my tube with theirs, and stick lengths. If the tube is correct, and the stick I ordered is correct, they were running this thing WAY low on oil. My tube extends up, between the block and manifold, and is probably 3 or 4 inches higher than the valve cover, just guessing. Does this sound about right for a 304? :?: :???:

I just Measured the one on my engine. It's 12 1/4 " from the top of the tube to the tube stop on the block. the Dipstick is 20" long from the tip to the resting point of the handle. sorry it took so long.

OK, thanks, I'll go do some measuring on mine. When you say "tube stop" do you mean the bracket that holds it in place? Mine is attached to one of the valve cover bolts, is that where yours is?

OK, thanks, I'll go do some measuring on mine. When you say "tube stop" do you mean the bracket that holds it in place? Mine is attached to one of the valve cover bolts, is that where yours is?
Tube Stop, meaning, that part of the tube that has the crimp and stops the tube from going further down the block. and Yes, i also have that small bracket that holds the upper section to the side of the valve cover.

OK...you're saying your tube is 12 1/4" from the top to the crimp at the block. Hmmm...that kinda has me worried. I'm at work at the moment, so I can't check it, but I'm almost positive mine is longer than that. I don't suppose the year would make a difference, would it? Mines a 75. Anyway, from what you say, your stick should extend about 7 3/4" into the pan, or past the stop on the block. I'll have to do some checking. By the way, this is a 304, do these things hold 5 quarts of oil, or 6? I could just change my oil, put in the correct amount, and "make" my stick reach the full mark by trimming the tube, if it is wrong. Thanks for your help too, by the way.

OK...you're saying your tube is 12 1/4" from the top to the crimp at the block. Hmmm...that kinda has me worried. I'm at work at the moment, so I can't check it, but I'm almost positive mine is longer than that. I don't suppose the year would make a difference, would it? Mines a 75. Anyway, from what you say, your stick should extend about 7 3/4" into the pan, or past the stop on the block. I'll have to do some checking. By the way, this is a 304, do these things hold 5 quarts of oil, or 6? I could just change my oil, put in the correct amount, and "make" my stick reach the full mark by trimming the tube, if it is wrong. Thanks for your help too, by the way.

It takes 6 qts. with a new filter. as far as the dipstick lenghts are within the years, My Jeep originally came with the 304 in 81. the 360 that i have in there now is out of a 79 waggy. the dipstick lenghts are the same between the two.

It takes 6 qts. with a new filter. as far as the dipstick lenghts are within the years, My Jeep originally came with the 304 in 81. the 360 that i have in there now is out of a 79 waggy. the dipstick lenghts are the same between the two.

would you happen to know how much oil an amc 304 v8 takes?

Hi, I was reading this thread and had a question...

I have a 1988 Grand Wagoneer with a 5.9 in her... the dipstick tube has "rotted" in to two pieces where it was near the exhaust manifold... I am replacing the tube/dipstick as soon as the weather changes up a bit here in the northeast, but was wondering if anyone else had ever had a similar thing happen and if they had found a source for either stainless dipstick tubes, or any other ideas for preventing this from reoccurring (I realize it took almost 25 years for it to rot away, so I may be just over engineering this repair)...

Rich

I haven't seen any stainless ones, but then I've sold the old Chief and went with a JK Unlimited Rubicon, so I haven't been looking around as much lately either. I'd say since the original one lasted 23-24 years though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If anything, hit it with a coats of high heat paint for extra protection and go with the stock replacement.

N2PPN said:
Hi, I was reading this thread and had a question...

I have a 1988 Grand Wagoneer with a 5.9 in her... the dipstick tube has "rotted" in to two pieces where it was near the exhaust manifold... I am replacing the tube/dipstick as soon as the weather changes up a bit here in the northeast, but was wondering if anyone else had ever had a similar thing happen and if they had found a source for either stainless dipstick tubes, or any other ideas for preventing this from reoccurring (I realize it took almost 25 years for it to rot away, so I may be just over engineering this repair)...

Rich

Have you asked 4 wheel parts? I have a 5.9 and I think my dipstick is stainless, I can check later if you want but I'm pretty sure it is tho

OK, I ordered a new Dipstick and tube from Morris 4 X 4 in Florida.... it was listed as being for the AMC V8's... the friggin' tube is incorrect and after I tried and tried to modify it to fit the engine, it still only goes in about two inches and stops dead in it's tracks... the engine end of the replacement tube was curved, but the one I removed was straight... after heating the tube with a torch and straightening it out, and checking the OD of the freshly straightened piece, I measured it against the one I removed. It is the same length from the crimp to the engine end of the tube....

The other bends in the replacement tube are also incorrect to pass the tube up in between the exhaust manifold and engine block to where it is supposed to end up (the old tube was a little too close to the exhaust manifold and I suspect that's why it rotted away)

So I re-shaped the dipstick tube to be able to be placed in the available space. Now when I try to install the tube, it refuses to go into the hole more than two inches and will not go any farther even if force is applied....

Anyone have any suggestions or a verified replacement part number for the dipstick tube for my 1988 5.9L GW??

Rich

:x

WTF?!?!? I fashioned a dipstick tool from a piece of stainless tubing with a 5/16 ID... but the damn dipstick still doesn't want to go fully into the hole....

Bought a SECOND dipstick tube (from a GRAND WAGONEER ONLY website) wasn't too surprised to get the same friggin' one from them...

Again the oil pan end has a curve in it and without removing the exhaust manifold and possibly jacking the engine up out of the engine compartment, I can't see how it would be able to get inserted into the block hole...

ANY help here would be greatly appreciated as I had to stop and put my tools away or I was gonna take a sledge hammer and start smashin' things...

Rich

WTF?!?!? I fashioned a dipstick tool from a piece of stainless tubing with a 5/16 ID... but the damn dipstick still doesn't want to go fully into the hole....

Bought a SECOND dipstick tube (from a GRAND WAGONEER ONLY website) wasn't too surprised to get the same friggin' one from them...

Again the oil pan end has a curve in it and without removing the exhaust manifold and possibly jacking the engine up out of the engine compartment, I can't see how it would be able to get inserted into the block hole...

ANY help here would be greatly appreciated as I had to stop and put my tools away or I was gonna take a sledge hammer and start smashin' things...

Rich

I just bought a CJ5 with an AMC 360 on it, and I have the same problem, it is very difficult to access the dipstick tube hole, is there an easy way I havenot considered?

Regards
Alek

Back