Tie-rod end or ball-joint?

COPCO

Oh, great pool of information and wisdom: I know someone can help figure this out. 1988 Cherokee 4x4, 4.0L engine, auto.trans. My understanding of this thing is that there is a center-link, a trac-bar, a tie-rod and control arms as well as a steering stabilizer. Is the right end of the center link considered a tie-rod end or is it called a ball-joint. It seems to me that the ball-joints are press fit into the steering knuckle. If so, then what is the right end of the center-link. Is it a tie-rod end? I think it's a press fit but am making myself nuts trying to figure it out. Thank you guys for any info.
COPCO

It's late and maybe I'm a bit dense, but I don't understand the question. :)
Center link is from the pitman arm to the right knuckle (most times left and right in a vehicle, is reckoned as you are sitting in the drivers seat (at least the way I was taught).
If I remember correctly all the joints (except maybe the bottom trac bar and the damper) are cone shaped bolts, that fit into a cone shaped socket (all tie rod end type or like we used to call them, ball and socket LOL). I usually find a sacrificial nut, put it part way on there, leaving enough above the thread ends to protect them and wack it with a BFH (big frigging hammer).
I have a tie rod puller, but it is difficult to use without messing up the rubber boot.

ei87es-1.png

242uakm-1.png

Last edited:
MudderChuck,
You are a true hero ! Your diagram is priceless. Part number "8" is actually a (really long) tie-rod end. The parts-guys think we're totally crazy.
Thank you, again !
COPCO

Back