Cherokee with Dana 44?

xjmarc said:
Your ZJ doesn't have an 8.25, wasn't an option. You either have a D35 or D44a, not to be confused with a D44. Some have an aluminum center section, c-clipped axles and almost no aftermarket support.

Must be the D35 then, because as far a i know only ZJ's with the towing package came with 44, whether it was "a" or not i dont know. But even with that said, my diff looks so alike with that black one in that picture its ridiculous. But, like i said.. Must be the 35 then.

xjmarc said:
Actually most ZJs that came with a V8 had the 44a from 95 or 96 on.

Regardless of that.. I dont even have the v8. So like i said, it must be the 35.

I'm guessing you have a 97 and even with the 4L you could still have a 44a. Aluminum center section is a give away.

xjmarc said:
I'm guessing you have a 97 and even with the 4L you could still have a 44a. Aluminum center section is a give away.

I wish i knew more haha. And how does one check if they have a aluminum centre section? And also, is a 44a diff a decent diff? Ive heard 44's are pretty good.

The D44 is a great axle but the D44a not so much. It has 30 spline shafts which are stronger than the 35 but they are c-clipped like the 35 and has very little aftermarket support. D44 parts don't work with the D44a. A magnet will tell you if the center section is aluminum or post a pic of the diff cover and we'll tell you what you have.

xjmarc said:
The D44 is a great axle but the D44a not so much. It has 30 spline shafts which are stronger than the 35 but they are c-clipped like the 35 and has very little aftermarket support. D44 parts don't work with the D44a. A magnet will tell you if the center section is aluminum or post a pic of the diff cover and we'll tell you what you have.

I use these forums from my phone and i can get a picture easily, but posting it i've never done so i'll figure it out and post it asap. Thank you.

if you find a nice Xj that is all of what you want don't pass it by because it don't have a 44 . remember swapping in a 44 is a very easy swap and some times you can get lucky and find a 44 already set up with disc brakes

54cj3b said:
if you find a nice Xj that is all of what you want don't pass it by because it don't have a 44 . remember swapping in a 44 is a very easy swap and some times you can get lucky and find a 44 already set up with disc brakes

Well im still up and down about building this ZJ. I originally wanted a TJ, but alot of people have said its alot alike, minus the frame and body and some things, but ive been told the ZJ's and XJ's are actually a good foundation to build up. Is this true?

The zj 44a is not the best axle. I think you can only put an aussie locker in them? is this right. Are they made by dana or american axle?

Back