oil sending unit

jox5

I have been having problems with oil pressure after the jeep is warm. It is a 5.2 with 200,000 miles. I tried to add heavier oil but the problem still occured. Alot of forums say to change the oil sending unit. Could that cuase loss in oil pressure? And where is the located? I was thinking of changing the oil pump although ,it is a big job and the jeep does hold pressure when started for about 20 minutes. I hope its not the bearing but im guessing it is.

Last edited:

With the absence of an engine knock when you see the oil pressure drop, i would assume that the sending unit is weak. One way to verify is install a manual oil pressure gauge where the sending unit is and verify actual oil pressure.. The sending unit should be behind the intake manifold towards the firewall. If it's the newer 5.2 magnum, it would be on the block close to the oil filter.

I just changed the oil pressure sending unit. I drove it around the block and the problem still exsisted. It held pressure until engine heated up. I started it to day and the oil took sometime to build pressure. The engine made ticking sounds in the top of the engine before the oil built preesure. Could the oil pump be the probelm?

Yep, that would be my assumption. Replacing the oil pump is not that bad, just drop the oil pan and the pump is bolted on the bottom of the block. One thing to consider, the high miles your engine has could indicate a severe wear on the camshaft and crankshaft bearings which is a variable in maintaining oil pressure in the lubrication system of the engine.

With the absence of an engine knock when you see the oil pressure drop, i would assume that the sending unit is weak. One way to verify is install a manual oil pressure gauge where the sending unit is and verify actual oil pressure.. The sending unit should be behind the intake manifold towards the firewall. If it's the newer 5.2 magnum, it would be on the block close to the oil filter.
not on any 5.2 I have ever seen; its on the back of the block next to the distributor.

Back