92 Jeep Cherokee

Vortexbetty

I'm new, so this is more of a "breaking my post cherry" than anything.

I recently acquired a 92 Cherokee with 192K miles on it. I love the damn thing and it's been solid, but when I took it up into the mountains, it overheated on my way up - was about 100 degrees out and my temp gauge must have been stuck because it WAS fine, but it went from "fine" to "hotter than the surface of the sun in a very short time. Before I could pull over my radiator blew up.

$200 tow bill and a radiator replacement later, it's "fine" again, but now it seems to be running rougher.

I'm a clueless tard when it comes to the cause and effect - though I'm slowly learning - but does that make sense? Could the one overheating - even though I pulled over RIGHT the heck away - have made my engine sad?

Or am I just more aware of it's shortcomings now that it broke down on me...

Just curious as to opinions on that.

Thanks.

When you say "running rougher", like a misfire or lack of power?

It seems louder and it's 'dieseling' where it didn't used to do that. It just "sounds" rougher.

No misfire or lack of power that I can tell.

It's quite possible that I'm just noticing noise where I didn't before, but I can't be sure.

(Paranoid! Haha)

I've decided after a few days that, yes, it is running rougher, but I'm not sure why. It's running, though, and that makes me happy. I'll be scheduling it for an oil change when I get paid, and maybe have my friends' neighbor (he's a bit of a gearhead) take a look at it to see what else he can suggest.

See if you can get the PCM scanned for misfires and or DTC's.

I tend to agree with bounty hunter, one of my friends has a cherokee sport, 4.0 automatic. Overheated it one time and had the smallest warp in the head, took a while for enough water to make it to the oil to know for sure. But after he replaced the water pump and before the blown head gasket(warped head) really showed it self it also ran rough.

the key dance is where you put the key in the ignition, switch it to on, then to off, back to on, back to off, then back to on and leave it there... then the check engine light (CEL) will flash out the codes... like if the code is 12 it will go FLASH PAUSE FLASH FLASH. then just look up all the codes and it should give you an idea what the problem is

Ok so I did the key dance...and that's when I realized that I have no dash lights that work. None of the warning lights that is...they don't come on at all when I first turn the key like they typically do.

I am also fairly certain that the computer that runs my Cherokee is that of a "Speak and Spell". Only not that sophisticated.

I would check all the fuses first. Im not convinced that the PCM is the culprit. I could be wrong however, the cluster inputs varies by function, meaning, at least the Airbag warning lamp and the ABS should at least turn on with the initial key on and do a self check since they are an input to the cluster from 2 different modules and not from the PCM. Makes sense?. My first choice of diagnostics would be the connections in the back of the cluster then the ignition switch circuits, particularly the key on circuit.

I think I'll check the fuses soon - I'm in the middle of a hell move into Portland which will change my commute from "nearly an hour each way in my poor geriatric jeep" to "I get to walk 5 minutes". Can't wait to be moved....dreading the actual MOVE. Haha.

I love my poor jeep - and will be glad when I can give it some more attention after this weekend.

I'd like to add that I REALLY appreciate all the input I've gotten. Thank you.

Back