Sealer on transmission pan gasket?

seanzy13

Since I finally got my 88 Cherokee running I am changing all the fluids before winter comes. I got a filter and gasket kit, the gasket is a nice thick rubber style one. Do you normally use a sealer with this? If so what do you use? I usually just use some RTV on most things I do, but this had some red looking sealer on it when I took it off. What should I use?

Also, going to be changing front and rear diff oil as well. What type of sealer to use with those covers?

Somebody more knowlegable will probably chime in, but typically with any gaskets: Rubber: No sealant, Cork: Minimal sealant (glue gasket to part, let it dry before bolting part on), Paper/cardboard: use sealant, both sides of gasket.

I only use the copper, high temp RTV on everything that requires a sealer.
Tom

I'm not sure if a dealer has a re-usable gasket for the type of trans. you have. It's a metal gasket covered with neoprene and as long as you dont overtighten the bolts and make sure the surfaces are clean, it wont leak and it's reusable with no sealant required. As for the axle covers, make sure you ask for an axle RTV sealer, do not use an ATF sealer otherise it will leak.

Yea everything I'v been reading so far says to use no sealant with a rubber style gasket. Just kinda throws me because it had a red sealant on there to begin with. Oh well I suppose, I'll clean it up best I can and try it with no sealer.

I'm not sure if a dealer has a re-usable gasket for the type of trans. you have. It's a metal gasket covered with neoprene and as long as you dont overtighten the bolts and make sure the surfaces are clean, it wont leak and it's reusable with no sealant required. As for the axle covers, make sure you ask for an axle RTV sealer, do not use an ATF sealer otherise it will leak.

I don't honestly plan on this jeep lasting past another transmission fluid change, so I didn't worry about finding a reusable gasket.

There was no gasket on the differential when I took it off, but it lists them online, so I was going to use the proper one, but the store was out of stock. Since I didn't feel like waiting I asked what they suggested to just make my own gasket. The pointed me in the direction of "The Right Stuff" so I went ahead and used that. Looks like some good stuff. Hopefully it will do the trick.

i think lots of people just rtv the diffs? seems odd but apparently doesn't hurt anything. i come from bmws and rtv'ing everything is not a european vehicle deal so its strange to me when people say make your own with this gel material

1987-2001 XJ 4.0L AW4 auto trans pan is RTV from factory. Some are a PITA, the long dipstick tube is welded to pan on some AW4s. If rubber gasket goin on now; no sealant needed except maybe to hold gasket in place white putting pan on. I believe most AW4 filters are actually metal debre screens, nothing more. That's why the is a pan has a factory drain plug. Unless pan is leaking, I generally drain and refill at regular intervals. Then enjoy until trans goes out in 300-500k miles. :D

1987-2001 XJ 4.0L AW4 auto trans pan is RTV from factory. Some are a PITA, the long dipstick tube is welded to pan on some AW4s. If rubber gasket goin on now; no sealant needed except maybe to hold gasket in place white putting pan on. I believe most AW4 filters are actually metal debre screens, nothing more. That's why the is a pan has a factory drain plug. Unless pan is leaking, I generally drain and refill at regular intervals. Then enjoy until trans goes out in 300-500k miles. :D

Also forgot. Alot of chrysler fastory diffs use RTV Silly con too. Premolded/rubberized/metal core aftermarket AT and diff gaskets are deffinate way to go. Most of them are reusable (1-2 times in theory).

Back