Xj Half doors

XjShake said:
You can put them on a 4.2... I was taken bout 4.0.... Feel free too correct me if I'm wrong I'm new to the whole jeep scene... I just recently switch from rice burners

Oh ya well they are the same block just yhe head and maniflods and injection system and designed differently they all interchange tho

You can put them on a 4.2... I was taken bout 4.0.... Feel free too correct me if I'm wrong I'm new to the whole jeep scene... I just recently switch from rice burners

Jeep 4.0L block, pistons and H.O. heads, Jeep 4.2L serp belt pully + Crankshaft + Rods = Jeep 4.5L poor man stroker motor.

Tear apart the newer motor and have it looked at by machine shop. It should / may be rebuildable. Good used 4.0L are plentiful also. Stick with a newer motor in the newer body.

231TC rebuild kits are available, 231TC 4.1 ratio rebuild kits are out there too. Used 231TC are plentiful. Not too bad $$ either way.

Last edited:

I've been looking at half doors and tube doors for my xj. I like both alot but I'm leaning more towards half doors due to the fact I can put cup holders in them. What its you guys opinions?

1/2 doors look good on XJs. Donor doors are EZ to find and cheap. Cut up the donors to your specs and make some interior panels out of diamond plate or metal. You can add cup holders to it, arm rest, and it'll have cleaner body lines IMO.

thanx for all the infor guys... and once again mopar shows up to steal the show with his knowledge lol... jk... thanks mopar thats another thing ive been looking into... what has to be changed to run the h.o heads on my non h.o? just the heads? if i run that route i think it would be in my allowance range to get a cam
:D

XjShake said:
thanx for all the infor guys... and once again mopar shows up to steal the show with his knowledge lol... jk... thanks mopar thats another thing ive been looking into... what has to be changed to run the h.o heads on my non h.o? just the heads? if i run that route i think it would be in my allowance range to get a cam
:D

They just switch right over

Correct; direct bolt on. Newer head should bolt right up to old 87-90 4.0L block. 87-90 head could be used, but doesn't flow very well for performance upgrades. 91-06 4.0L HO head flows better for both fuel and coolant. Some like 93-95/96 heads for best flow. A stock 91-06 4.0L or even a mild cam is best unless you address other issues. 24lb Fuel inj from ford or A.M. will work nice for a poor mans 4.5-4.6 stroker. Any bigger on motor and cam may require Adj fuel reg, larger flow fuel pump, even larger injectors, and poss a ECM reprogram, or ??

My 97 ZJ 4.0L is getting 4.2 crank, 4.2L rods, 4.0L stock block (if possible otherwise .020 - .030 over if needed), a fresh valve job, ford 5.0L H.O. 24lb injectors, +99 4.0L equal length intake manifold, a modded airbox, and a performance muffler. I don't tow with that Jeep so I am gonna stay with the stock cam if possible. Should be a nice wake me up for the Jeep.

Back