Jeep cherokee 3" lift. Transfer case lowering kit?

deadlift560

My jeep has a 3" lift and vibrates when I get over 45 mph. If I get a 3-4" transfer case lowing kit, will it help that problem and how much will it help? Thanks.

Does it just "vibrate" or does the front end "wobble"?

If it is just a vibration, and everything else (u-joints) are OK, Then a 1" transfer case drop (1" spacer between "frame" and trans mount) may help. Different rigs get different results from doing this.

If it is a wobble search death wobble.

It's a 97. I think it's a drivtrain vibration. It only does It at all over 45 mph. I also have a slight crack in my exhaust manifold I am gonna replace come spring if that could be the culprit?

I doubt the manifold has anything to do with the vibes. Check all of your u-joints first. Then tire balance. I am pressing the issue with the u-joints because my jeep has a 3" lift, no trans drop, and it developed a vibe like yours, it was a combination of the tires wore out and a bad u-joint. Got those fixed now it is as smooth as a baby's butt.

The '97 is the first year that the XJ needed a 1/2" transfer case drop with 3" of lift. Older XJ's didn't need any drop until 4.5" or larger.

I made my own out of .5" steel bar, drill two holes in 2 pieces approx. 6" long and they you go. You will need to back out the stud on each end of the crossmember and use 2 longer bolts per side.

So so I need a 1/2" transfer case drop, or do I need new u joints? I just like to go over 45mph at points in time and wish it didn't shake the way it does so I could take it everywhere I want lol

I used a 1/2" drop on my '98 XJ at 3" and it removed all driveline vibes.

If you have bad ujoints, you will need new ones, don't know what else to tell you there.

Yes. Grab the driveshaft by the hand near the ujoints and shake to check for loose ujoints.

Ok thanks so much. I have so much I want to do to my jeep, just need the cash lol. Young(20) married, 1 yr old with another on the way in august. Trying to save up to get the stuff I need done and try to get some I'd like. Lol but need a few things for sure

So so I need a 1/2" transfer case drop, or do I need new u joints? I just like to go over 45mph at points in time and wish it didn't shake the way it does so I could take it everywhere I want lol

This can only be answered by you. Check the u-joints first, if they are OK, do the transfer drop.:)

My jeep has a 3" lift and vibrates when I get over 45 mph. If I get a 3-4" transfer case lowing kit, will it help that problem and how much will it help? Thanks.
sounds like u-joints to me u should not need a t case drop for a 3" lift but if you do i have one for $20.00 from rustys off road.

so so i need a 1/2" transfer case drop, or do i need new u joints? I just like to go over 45mph at points in time and wish it didn't shake the way it does so i could take it everywhere i want lol

to be cheap, put the front shaft off, see if it makes any vibes, don't pull the rear and try it or the t-case fluid will flow out. Check the joints on the rear shaft by hand. If all goes ok, then try less t-case lift.

Take a look at the BDS website. Transfer case spacers were part of my 4" lift. It took care of my driveline issues with no shaft modifications.

Back