Cherokee oil weight

I just bought my first jeep. It's an 89 Cherokee with the 4.0 and is 4x4 and 138k miles. I was just wondering what you recommended for oil weights and brands. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• image-3747986293.jpg
    image-3747986293.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 538
  • image-2866426594.jpg
    image-2866426594.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 618
I don't about all the different weights. I got my 96 xj i6 5spd 4 years ago and it had 150k miles on it. Its now got 227700, drove to Ohio stayed for 2 years and now back in Florida and all ill run is amsoil 5w30 or castrol. Got no leaks and it doesn't burn oil either. ALTHOUGH I strongly believe when you change the oil buy atleast 14, quarts flush the motor immediately. Doesn't matter if you change the oil every 3k miles or 2. Drain the oil to just before its at a drip. Fill it back up all 6 quarts, start it and run for 3 minutes at most. Drain it again and you'll be amazed just how black and dirty your oil still is. And just think any car you drain the oil there is still filth on the pistons, camshaft, crank, etc and especially the bottom of your oil pan. Flushing the motor is just like flushing anything else on your Jeep, its made mine last longer than anticipated and I highly recommend it.

i have had a slight tick in my 97 tj 4.0 since i bought read a couple of articles on engine oil(sorry comp crashed lost the links)that most oil companys have stopped putting additives to oil required for proper lubrication of flat tappet cam shafts.these articles stated that shell rotella t 15w40 diesel engine oil was the only oil that still uses these additives i have switched and my tick is gone.various types of oil were tryed and the 15w40 was the only one that stopped the tick.diesel engine oil has a lot of detergent in it so using it in an engine with unknown history could be bad if it is dirty inside the detergent will break this down causing particles to float in oil possibly clogging small passages

I've used a product called Seafoam before, and it worked surprisingly well. It's an engine and fuel cleaner, put a 1/4 in your gas tank, and crankcase, and also throttle body if applicable. Give it about 15 mins to soak everything up and start your engine, and if your engine has alot of carbon build up, it'll be smoking like a chimney out the exhaust. Do this before an oil change, and my oils always been clean and stays clean for 3 to 5,000 kms. Ive only done it once, i don't think it's something you should do every month or even couple months, but it helped me with performance, gas mileage, and cleaner oil.. But if your engine Barely has any carbon build up, it probably won't do much.

I run nothing but Castrol GTX 10w-40, ive ran it way hot, ran it longer than 3000 miles, and of course the hard offroad treatment and the Castrol holds up good.

Well the manual calls for 10w30. As for flushing it as instructed above in my opinion its a waist of oil.

Back