1996. Grand Cherokee Limited clutch problem?

zaczg

Hi guys, I already writed but you didnt understood me :), it is maybe because my poor english.

Well, the problem is very simple, I dont have experience with automatic transmission, and my Jeep 5.2 V8 does have automatic transmition, but this is the problem:

When I have to start moving (press the pedal in D - drive mood), sometimes (not always), the front of the car shakes very nasty and it seems like it has a problem to shift gear.

It doesent happen very often, and this shows sometimes also when I am driving about 40-50 km/h and press the pedal (power) and RPM goes but not speed , if you understand me :).

It is like you have a lazy clutch on manual transmition.

So, please what could be the problem so I can find parts and replace it.

Thank you :) Hope you understand me :)

it sounds like the torque converter or clutch's in the transmission are slipping for a certain gear. i would make sure your fluid levels are full in the transmission first.

Thanks for a fast reply, so is there a tutorial how can I check this out?

So this symptom can be if the fulids are low, or it can mean a major problem?

low fluid levels can cause some transmission problems but it is just a guess. to check the fluid level the engine has to be at normal operating temperature, so after you have taken a trip somewhere with the engine running you can check it. Towards the back of the engine there is a red handle that looks like the yellow one for the oil. Pull the red one out and it should be a light to medium pink or red color. I am not sure what else to check to see what is causing the problem, maybe someone else can give some suggestions, but that is a start. If the fluid is dark you might want to look into having your transmission power flushed.

Thank you, well I checked the fulid and I think it is ok, what could be the problem? anyone? :)

Hi, still having this problem.

What is all about?

Sometimes when I have to start in Driver (like on traffic light or entering a street) and I press the pedal quckly it shakes the front end and it feels like it is loosing the grip, my poor english cant describe this, but can you help me?

I just want to diagnose the problem so I can fix it.

I dont understand why the front end would shake when you're starting to move, is it locked in 4h? Or is it only 2 wheel drive?

Me to, it is not locked in 4h. Well to describe this problem, it is like I am on traffic light ready to start, press the pedal and it makes a big sound and shakens the car, rev go up but not the speed. And this is not every time, just occasional.

I have Quadra-Trac.

Could the shake be caused by a misfire?, ramping up the rpm but not the speed when the clutch is released and the trans. in gear indicates slippage in the clutch. If the shake occurs while the clutch is being released in gear, then that would indicate a warped flywheel.

2SteelHeadz, well misfire? maybe... I am running on LPG.

Flywheel and clutch, if they are warped or bad, is it expensive to repair?

Thank you!

Just because it's running on LPG doesn't mean it's not going to have a misfire. Remember, you still have sparkplugs to ignite that gas and when one or two sparkplugs intermittently fails, you will have a misfire. The best thing to do for that situation is to have an OBD scantool hooked up that can monitor the cylinders for misfires.
As for a possible warped flywheel, the transmission would have to be removed and the flywheel needs to be checked and machined by a machine shop.

Thank you SteelHeadz, I will try to find here a machine shop who knows about Jeeps, because its a hard thing here in Croatia. :(

Back