97 Grand Cherokee engine squeal

Tony Gayler

Hi guys.

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L and the blasted thing won't stop squealing. There was no squeal before I replaced the clutch fan but but now it is and it seems to be coming from my a/c compressor.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

check to make sure the belt is tightened to the right spec. make sure the pullies aren't over or under tightened.

It sure SOUNDS like a: Squealing Serpentine Belt. Does the Squeal Diminish in Sound Level -- IF you spray a little water on it? A. Few things to CONSIDER: 1. Have you Replaced the Serpentine Belt Lately? 2. Check your Belt Tensioner - OK? 3. If you have REPLACED drive components (LIKE Clutch Fan!). CHECK FOR a Possible Pulley MIS-ALIGNMENT! (This is often the culprit!). And Remember: It is the squeaky WHEEL that gets the Grease! Not the Squeaky Belt! Ha! Good Luck! -- JB

Its most likely the idler pulley. I had that happen as well a few years ago. Its the pulley that serves no purpose other than routing the belt. The bearing goes bad occasionally causing a loud squeal and believe me you do not want it to lock up. Its an easy fix and the part is super cheap.

I agree with Dustin_g I helped a friend of mine with that issue our solution was to replace the compresor with a pulley... I live in TJ so AC are no really needed.... but if you want your AC they do sale the replacement A/C clutch kit. to make sure turn on and off your AC and look for any diference.

Back