Home made intake!

poooorboy

Hello just wondering on folks who have made there own intake on a 1990 4.0 6 .How do they work and are they easy to build? Also i seen the snorkel setup very nice but pricey! Any info helpfull! Steve :-D [addsig]

I took the hose from a shop vac and used duct tape to hook it into the air box tubing, then ran it back around and into the firewall by the passenger side. Then up and over the passenger seat into the back cargo area. I got a power inverter and hooked that up so I could plug in the shop vac, and now if I go through deep water, I can switch on the shop vac and it sucks the water out of the intake system, and when I'm on the highway, I flip the hose over to blow, and its like a supercharger, I get about 35 - 40 extra horsepower. The only problem is that I can't hear the darn stereo over the whining of the shop vac.............[addsig]

I thought about getting a snorkle also...and it's just too pricey. I'm also not happy about cutting a hole in my fender.

pinaplebob[addsig]

LOL!! Thanks but no thanks i shall figure it out ... :-O [addsig]

most people that make their own intakes do it a little differently... most involve a trip to home depot... and make it however you like![addsig]

I made my own intake for my 4.0HO (1995). What I basically did:
1. I bought a KandN Airfilter code is E1796... Its a big one.
2. I bought 2 billet fuel filters with the see through glass.

The KandN fit right over the stock intake hose. I removed the airbox and put the KandN over the intake hose and tightened it down. The two vacuum lines that go into the airbox were removed and I put the fuel filters on the vacuum hoses nearest to the source. I have been running this for about 3 years and there seems to be no poroblems at all. Also this setup prevents the crankcase vacuum line from blowing oil into the airbox. My oil just drips onto the road instead of blowing-by into the airbox.[addsig]

is there any horsepower gain made by not having those other hoses plugged into the intake? [addsig]

Back