2002 Jeep Liberty Won't Start - PLEASE HELP!

Billys_Jeep

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Renegade 3.7L that starts when it wants to.

I bought a new battery on Sunday (thinking this was the problem) but it wasn't.

When I go to start the Jeep all I get is a "click click" sound but it won't turn over.
It will start when it's been sitting a while or when I put it in Reverse and back to Park.

My battery is not draining and Alternator appears to be good. I'm thinking it's a Starter issue.

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sounds like a starter issue to me as well. Is it giving you and codes?

To check for error codes turn the key on off, on off, then on. The code will appear and then switch to the word "Done"

check neutral safety switch
also clean terminals on battery cables could be a bad connection

Agree with checking all connections that they are clean and tight. May be starter sylinoid (however you spell it, lol). to me the click click indicates most likely a bad connection, sylinoid.

Sounds like a starter issue to me as well. Is it giving you and codes?

To check for error codes turn the key on off, on off, then on. The code will appear and then switch to the word "Done"

I don't remember seeing any codes when I try and start it. I'll have to look for that - Thanks Terry!

check neutral safety switch
also clean terminals on battery cables could be a bad connection

I haven't tried starting it in Neutral, but the Neutral Safety Switch could be a possibility. (I certainly hope not - sounds harder to replace than a starter).

Here's what I did to fix it. My '02 Liberty won't start when hot. All dash lights work, everything seems ok but the engine won't crank until it cools down. I replaced the starter (no fix), I replaced the ignition switch actuator (no fix), I tested everything and couldn't find the problem. So I spent $10 for a push button start button. I ran a hot wire from the fuse box to the start button then a wire from the start button to the small starter wire. (Problem solved). Now when the car is warm and won't start I turn the key on and push the button.

Attachments

• IMG_2870.jpg
    IMG_2870.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2871.jpg
    IMG_2871.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to Jeepz.com and thank you for your post . This fix , born out of necessity , has been a common problem we've seen posted many times and your post will give someone an answer to a problem of which last I heard chrysler has not addressed. If a replacement part has of yet not been produced , that is a real shame . Even if there were plans to kill that model , there should be replacement parts since there are many on the road. Even aftermarket should have produced a replacement.

Welcome to Jeepz.com and thank you for your post . This fix , born out of necessity , has been a common problem we've seen posted many times and your post will give someone an answer to a problem of which last I heard chrysler has not addressed. If a replacement part has of yet not been produced , that is a real shame . Even if there were plans to kill that model , there should be replacement parts since there are many on the road. Even aftermarket should have produced a replacement.

This issue turned out to be a Starter issue. Replaced the starter myself and started like a charm!

Back