jeep wont start

jeepkid4268

I have a 1996 jeep cherokee with a 4.0 HO. when i tryed to start the jeep it wouldent even click or anything like that so i took the starter out and got it tested. It was bad so i went and got a new one when i put the new one in tryed to start it and started then i drove it around and turned it off and tryed it again and same problem as before.

I had a similure propblem months ago.. I had to start jumping the contacts on the ignition relay.. I replaced the relay and still didn't work.. now I have a push button wired into the contacts cause I wad fed up with it

Has anyone of you checked the ignition switch for a 12v feed and return when the ignition is on the crank position?.

Crazy question did u check your battery terminals I also have seen starters right out of the box no good before try jumping the ing terminal or testing for 12v while cranking at the starter silenoid

ForumRunner_20121201_190222.png

Found the problem guys

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121201_190239.png
    ForumRunner_20121201_190239.png
    416.5 KB · Views: 606
Congrats!! there you go, you found the problem. You can replace that electrical connector on the ignition with the wiring. The best way to replace it is to splice the new wires in with a metal crimp sleeves then solder them before you slide a shrink tube to insulate it. I'm not a fan of crimp connectors since i see a lot of failures with them after a short while specially on high amp circuits.

Well that wasnt the problem about to days after fixing the bad wiring.same problem so I got a new ignition and now not even a click

Wiggle the wires where you worked on last while the key is in start position and see if the starter intermittently kicks on. Make sure the transmission is in neutral or park and the emergency brakes are on.

So I'm still having the same problem so I took the nss off an opened it up..is this normal?

ForumRunner_20121226_150647.png

Back