99 grand cherokee starting problems

aaron71305

I have a 99 jeep grand cherokee 4.0. It started running rough and the check engine light came on. I took it to my locaall parts store and had it checked and the told me i had a number 3 and 4 cylinder misfire and suggested plugs and wires. After changing the plugs and wires it still ran really rough. So they told me the ignition coil might be bad. Changed the ignition coil and it would not start at all. I put the old one back on and it started up but still runs rough. Is there anybody that can help me figure this out? Any help would be greatly appricated. Also just changed the crank position sensor and still running really rough.

Last edited:

I would focus on the ignition coil (get another new one), as well as the wire to the coil. It could be that the ignition wire is bad.

20140223_133843.jpgWell after about $300 and banging my head aginst the wall i think i have found my problem. For shits and giggles i popped the raidator cap off and started it up only to see bubbles. That told me it was either a blown head gasket or a cracked head. After ripping off the head the gasket was blown between #3 and #4 and thank god its not cracked or warped. That would explain why i have a missfire on #3 and #4. So i will be replacing the gasket sometime this week(lack of funds thanks to the duche bags at autozone for selling me shit i didnt need) and hopefully this will solve my problem and my wife will be happy to get her jeep back.

Glad you got the problem taken care of (or at least diagnosed).Can't you take the stuff you bought at Autozone back if you don't need it?

Glad you got the problem taken care of (or at least diagnosed).Can't you take the stuff you bought at Autozone back if you don't need it?

im just going to keep what I bought...probally needed it anyway. I did get the new head gasket and intake gasket and got them put on and everything put back together. now my problem is when I start it up its like someone is holding the gas pedal to the floor. could this be the throttle position sensor or the idle air control valve? It has a new throttle position sensor but it did come from autozone and the the idle air control valve was cleaned when I had everything tore apart but I did notice it was loose when I was cleaning it. :???::shock:

The extremely high idle is being caused by the idle air control valve not closing back to the correct position to maintain proper idle. Since the battery was disconnected for a period of time during disassembly/reassembly , the PCM now has to " re-learn" using its own parameters it's programmed with versus actual conditions ( cold temperatures) . You also mentioned the pintle on the IAC valve is " loose " , I'm suspecting damage since it won't reset . The PCM should be calling for it to open for a correct cold engine speed and drop to a normal idle when engine is warm and PCM returns to closed loop . The pintle movement isn't much , no more than 1/8" inch or so . The pintle is too far open and the looseness usually happens from the pintle being moved too far sideways. Repair manuals state a specific installed length and should not be exceeded to avoid damage and adjustment is performed by carefully moving the pintle sideways , back and forth until adjustment is met. Too far and it's damaged. You can try to readjust it to what installed length the manual calls for and take jeep out for a test ride above 30 mph to see if PCM will actually reset it. Be sure that the valve does not open to,far and raise idle too much when jeep is in gear or you know you'll loose control . If a normal idle cannot be maintained , replacement will have to be. Sorry for the bad news. Asuming no trouble codes logged ?
Be sure as well the TPS is adjusted right but that should not cause this problem but will affect trans shifting. Sensors out of range are not helpful to proper operation .

Thank you gregg92xj!! You were absoutly right... she runs like a beast again. I have read quite a few posts from you and you have no idea how much you have really helped me. Again thanks for all the help.

Thank you gregg92xj!! You were absoutly right... she runs like a beast again. I have read quite a few posts from you and you have no idea how much you have really helped me. Again thanks for all the help.
Hey brother ! Glad you got your jeep running up the hill again ! I'm happy I was able to be of service to you but most happier that all worked out and you got your jeep running top again !
Glad that any if my previous posts were of service to you , hope that anything I post , or for that matter , anything that any of us post here in our forum is helpful to you and to anyone in need !
Also would like to say that we really appreciate you sharing your experience with us and it a good thing because it will always help someone at a future date . No one likes a breakdown but we got to know how to get it back up and running again. Greatest part of all is WE did it and WE saved money ! Now you can spend that money on accessories like you been wanting to ( if the misses don't find out LOL) ! Well brother , it's a great feeling to got it done yourself , you know YOU can do it better than that guy who who last had his hands on your jeep and only succeeded in violating it . Boy , you showed him ! This has been a good week here at Jeepz.com ! We got two jeeps up and running ! And that's two new members who we welcome aboard with true JEEPER spirit ! Two guys to join ranks who are not afraid to get their hands dirty ! Proud of you guys !
Guys like you two are what Jeepz.com is all about ! Welcome aboard ! Thanks for joining and help making our forum a great place to be ! Sincerely , Greg
P.S. - glad the misses will have her jeep back , when she's smiling , your smiling !

Back