How to start a build

Tbates

I was interested to see what direction to go on a build. What should you do first to have a good trail rig. I love my xj but when I do trail suspension is not real good such as if I get in a little trench I don't have all my wheels on the ground. But what's a good path to take in a build do you start with lockers lift and go from there? Or what is a good start to finish on a build? Just curious to get some different perspectives

If you are just lifting a tire on trails and not high centering, I would start with a locker in the rear first. Lockers will keep you moving even if a tire is off the ground. Not sure what rear axle you have, but if its the dana 35, you may want to look into upgrading it or replacing it all together, its not the strongest axle.
Do you have sway bars? If so are you disconnecting them off road?, Your suspension will move much more with them disconnected. If you still need more flex then I would start looking at lifts and shocks, don't forget longer brake lines. I don't know a whole lot about Cherokees, so this is about all I can offer.

There's not a single good path to follow but many have had luck with lockers > skidplates > lift. Prioritize based on your type of wheeling.

Yeah I disconnect the sway bars and I knew my axles were a weak point so didn't know if I should upgrade those before I spend money on lockers? If so what is an easy axle swap for xjs

Yeah I disconnect the sway bars and I knew my axles were a weak point so didn't know if I should upgrade those before I spend money on lockers? If so what is an easy axle swap for xjs
Nothing too easy. Rear is pretty easy to upgrade to a 8.25" from an XJ with tow package, or a Ford 8.8. Many run the front Dana30 up to 33" and 35" tires before finding its weaknesses.

And Yes I would replace the rear axle before spending money on the locker, it would be a waste because the locker wont fix your replacement axle.

Sounds like my first step is new rear axle then. So the front should be ok unless I go bigger than 35,s is that right

Sway bar release, then gears/lockers, then lift, then taller tires. Do it as your budget allows. Do it all at once if you can swing it.

Back