4.0 to 5.9 engine swap

vimnjicki

Hey! I'm new here. New to Jeeps but not to Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep. I just picked up a '98 Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD and though the 4L runs great, has only 137k on it and everything seems tight, I would like to swap it out for the new performance built 5.9 and 46RE engine/trans from my '97 Dodge Dakota 4x4. The Dakota has an "unfindable" wiring short in the chassis harness that keeps it unsmoggable and therefore off the road. I was going to part out the truck but when I found this Jeep, I thought why not, if its not too difficult. The truck's 5.9L (well, 6.0 really. Its bored 40 over, among other mod's) dyno's at 407 hp at the flywheel with the present tune and the 46RE is built to take over 700 hp. I think the Jeep is going to be entertaining to say the least, if everything works out. What I am here for is to find out what I will or may need to complete the swap. Has anyone done it in a 2WD model? Is it adviseable to convert the 4x4 transmission to a 2WD transmission or just spring for a lesser but guaranteed fit 2WD 46RE? I have read some on this site and others about just adding the 2WD tailpiece and calling it a day. Is that true? I know about the motor mounts and possibly the radiator. Has someone done this and can provide a comprehensive list for the DYI'er? I'm cautiously excited/optimistic about this but not unrealistic. Thanks for your help.

Back