94, to 89 Cherokee engine And trans swap need help/info

Allene

Ok I have a 94 Cherokee that's been rolled I also have an 89 that has bad rear gears and the trans doesn't shift correctly also the engine is weak and has a slight knock from a loss of oil pressure . Ok what I want to do is put the engine and trans form the 94 in the 89 does any one know what problems I might run into

Both are 4.0 automatic the 94 is 2x4 the 89 is 4x4

The 4wd trans is quite a bit different, unless you install the transfer case into the '89 as well.

The wiring won't work unless you're just using the bare engine of the '94, and all the intake and related sensors from the '89.

the trans won't work? the 2wd is longer? ruh roh, so much for putting that 231 from my yj on the zj trans

I swapped a yj tcase in my old 93 zj I used to have and it didn't have any problems. Fit just like normal. It was a 90ish or so 6 cylinder tcase

Ok let's talk about how to fix my transmission in the 89 ... I can't just put it in drive it goes strait to high gear I have to shift it with the shifter so I have 1st it skips second 3rd and over drive I won't even shift into second if I rev the beans out of it with the shifter in the 1-2 position

Have you tried to remove the fuse from the TCU behind the glove box? This should allow full manual shifting if the transmission is mechanically sound.

I have full manual mostly just there's not a 2nd position on the shifter it's 1 3 D I want my auto to work but it wont

Ok good ideas I need to check fuse on tcu.. How do I Asjust the throttle position sensor ? On the 89 there is only one cable to the throttle body no kick down cable to the trans like I'm used to working with I assume that's what you mean by TV cable?? .... Thank you for the help I am very greatful

TV is the throttle valve cable from the transmission to the throttle linkage. There's a button near the throttle body that allows adjustment.

The TPS sensor is adjustable. You use a multimeter to check the voltage and twist the TPS to get it within spec. The procedure is outlined in the FSM and most other manuals.

If I can get my trans to work correctly and put the Better engine in it i will have a badass 4x4 '89 I love this jeep I've been thru stuff I never thought possible it's been used and abused and now it needs some TLC I'll post some pics tomorrow so y'all can see what I'm working with

image.jpgimage.jpg

Ok I'm pretty sure this is the tv cable? It was set at full tight where it pulls the most cable .... How do I adjust it correctly ?? I've never messed without till now and I don't have a repair manual

That's it, you found it.

"With close inspection you will see it has a sort of D shaped or square button you can depress and slide the sleeve (cable housing) back and forth. The sleeve is what you want to adjust, by depressing the button. Press the D or square shaped button and slide the sleeve toward the firewall as far as it will go and let go of the button. Now open the throttle to the wide open position and release. You should be able to hear the sleeve click (rachet) as it slides through the cable housing. Make sure that the cable returns (with no binding) when the throttle is released. This preliminary adjustment will frequently be too "high", and the throttle pressure will have to be reduced, to attain proper shift points. I prefer to start with an adjustment that is "too high", and then work down, rather than "too low" and work up.

To raise throttle pressure (and raise shift points, and make "kickdown" more responsive) move the cable housing towards the firewall (away from the throttle linkage), as you simultaneously depress the button on the cable housing, move the cable housing away from the carburetor or (throttle body) to increase throttle pressure. Move the cable housing adjustment a small amount at a time (1 click or 1/16" or so), a small adjustment can often make a world of difference. Naturally, to lower the pressure (and lower shift points, and make "kickdown" less sensitive), move the cable housing towards the front of the Jeep."

Back