Dealer won't install trailer hitch (recall)

babychi

Hi,

Just got a call from the dealer (who has my car for repair) that they can't install the free trailer hitch on my 2004 Jeep Liberty. He says that the car must have been in Northwest region before because it's all rusty understand the frame, maybe dued to snow and salt, and they can't mount the hitch. Is it possible? He sounded like he absolutely refused to do it. Simply told me it is impossible to install.

Any idea?

I can't speak to a recall / legality issue, but I can understand what he means. It sounds like he's saying that your Jeep is so rusty it would not be safe to install a hitch and attempt to tow with it (I imagine the hitch breaking off and the boat you are towing going into traffic).

Having said that, it could just be that the bolts are so rusted that he can't get them out, and doesn't want to mess with it.

I'd suggest taking it to another dealer for a second opinion.

I can't speak to a recall / legality issue, but I can understand what he means. It sounds like he's saying that your Jeep is so rusty it would not be safe to install a hitch and attempt to tow with it (I imagine the hitch breaking off and the boat you are towing going into traffic).

Having said that, it could just be that the bolts are so rusted that he can't get them out, and doesn't want to mess with it.

I'd suggest taking it to another dealer for a second opinion.

Thank you. At least now I know there's a possibility that he's telling the truth. Just got a call like an hour ago, he say while his worker was trying to install the control arm (recall again), he accidentally broke the brake fluid line. He asked me to pay for it because he say the line itself is so rusty that's why his worker broke it. I refused. Finally he say he won't charge me labor to replace it, and I just have to pay $30 for the part. I didn't want to argue with him anymore and just want to get it over with, so i say I will pay for the $30 brake line replacement. He also charge me $130 to re-wire the 12V (I want the power to turn off when I turn off the car). and $32.25 for a new gas cap. Plus $99 to diagnose the check engine light (gas cap problem). He wanted to charge me $340 to replace the lock cylinder (it came loose) but I say no. I'm just bump that he can't install the trailer hitch because I need it when I move to Portland.

You should find out why exactly it can't be installed. If the hitch mounting points are too rusted to safely mount the hitch, you might need frame/chassis repair.

You can't fault the dealer for wanting you to buck up for repairs due to rust on an 11 year old vehicle likely exposed to road salt. It is your responsibility and I'd try to maintain that working relationship.

You should find out why exactly it can't be installed. If the hitch mounting points are too rusted to safely mount the hitch, you might need frame/chassis repair.

You can't fault the dealer for wanting you to buck up for repairs due to rust on an 11 year old vehicle likely exposed to road salt. It is your responsibility and I'd try to maintain that working relationship.

First of all, I did not fault the dealer. He did used the word "accidentally broke the fluid line" that's why I don't see why I have to pay for their "accidents". When I refused, that's when he say the line was rusty. That's why I still pay for the part.

When I pick up the car, he did mention that even if he was able to install the trailer hitch, I won't be able to use it to pull anything anyway, it is supposed to just strengthen the frame to protect the gas tank, it is not designed for pulling. But I can still go to uhaul and maybe they can install it. Now I don't feel so bumped anymore!

What do you plan on towing?? Light garden trailer or horses?

I suggest getting the underbody inspected no matter what you plan to tow. There is no frame and the hitch bolts through the body.

The free hitch you have is it for a liberty or universal??

Here is a class III from online. This website has a lot of good trailer info and know how.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2004_Jeep_Liberty.htm

First of all, I did not fault the dealer. He did used the word "accidentally broke the fluid line" that's why I don't see why I have to pay for their "accidents". When I refused, that's when he say the line was rusty. That's why I still pay for the part.
I apologize if it sounded like I was chastising you. I was just trying to make the point they're working on an 11 year old rusty vehicle and such headaches are to be expected.

Dang, 11 years old and that rusty? Where do you live? I live a quarter mile from the ocean and none of my vehicles are rusty like that.

Back