Pulling codes OBD2 without a reader?

drewbuddy

'01 Grand Cherokee CEL came on last night. Dummy gauges are fine, other than CEL and runs fine. possibly a slight miss. Thinking maybe fuel cap because it came on within 15 km of fueling up. Is there a way to pull a code without a reader? I know OBD you can pull a code using a voltmeter, I can on my '91 laser anyway. My search came up with using a reader only. Just wondering if anyone knows different? Thanks

'97 and earlier have the ignition thing to check for codes. I'll just have to pick one up. I think it was my gas cap anyway.I hope. took the cap off and back on, disconnected the battery thinking it would clear and it didn't. But drove for five km and it cleared itself :scratch: I will still have to check for codes just because

SuperJ, on my '98 I was able to pull codes doing the following (may work for his '01).
Ignition off, push and hold odometer reset button.
Turn key to run (not start).
Turn key back off.
Release odometer reset button.
Trouble codes should appear in odometer window.

If gauges do a test sweep and odometer counts backwards from 9999999, 8888888, etc., you released the odometer reset button too soon.

I tried this on my '01 and got the countdown. CEL cleared before hand so not sure if I did it right. I will have to play with it
Thanks for comin out

i will try that way.  every other way i had read did not work so bought an innova 3130 code reader.  its pretty good and works on both newer cars i have

Back