SEMPERFIOX is offline Junior Member

MY 97 JEEP HAS PROBLEMS STARTING-I HAVE TO TURN IT OVER SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE IT WILL START-ALSO IT WILL STALL ON CORNERS WHEN THE GAS TANK IS LOW-IT HAS LESS POWER THAN IT DID A YEAR AGO. I DID A SYSTEM CHECK AND ALL I GOT WAS CODD 55-WHICH MEANS END OF CODES-NO ONE KNOWS WHATS WRONG-I'VE ACTUALLY HAD OTHER PEOPLE WITH THE SAME YEAR/MAKE/MODEL TELL ME THEY HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM :-D [addsig]

dingus is offline Look at my website.

sounds like a fuel delivery problem - pump, relay, filter, etc...

-nate[addsig]

utjeepn is offline Junior Member

I had the same problem starting my '98 Cherokee. It was the fuel pump.[addsig]

Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator

Our '98 XJ developed the same 'stalling in turns when tank is low' problem. I think it's common.[addsig]

jeepmaster is offline Senior Member

mines doing the same thing, they think its either a bad after cat o2 sensor or a fuel pump[addsig]
    Summit County, Colorado - 96 XJ - Magnaflow exhaust, K & N filtercharger, H4 conversion, MT/R's on 767's, safari rack, hot blonde and an Australian Shepherd riding shotgun

EddyB is offline Junior Member

Check up on the recall list for the XJ. The stalling out in left turns/fuel delivery problem is a factory recall. And then, go harass a dealer..........[addsig]

mujaman is offline Senior Member

i had the exact same problem with my 97 cherokee this winter. all that needed to be replaced was the fuel filter (which unfortunately requires the gas tank be dropped) and spark plugs (but maybe not in your case). i'd say try the fuel filter first... worked great for me. its started on the first crank ever since then.[addsig]
    '97 4.0L XJ - ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn M8000 Winch, IPF Lighting, Rusty's 3" Springs, OME Shocks, AEV 16" Wheels, Goodyear 32" ATs, Yakima Rack, Flowmaster, K&N, Rocky-Road Step Rails, Alpine/Pioneer Sound, more to come...