94 grand Cherokee won't stay running

1stjeep67

Hello I'm new to this forum. This is my 1st jeep I would like to see if anyone has info. On a problem I'm having . My jeep stopped running about a month ago . I found out it was the fuel pump and a fuse to The ignition coil. I replaced both of them, and then tried to start it . It will only stay running for 30 sec. And then dies.I checked relays and fuses but all good so far unless I missed some. 4.0 ing. 94 grand.

No I have not. But I heard if it wasn't working it wouldn't start at all. Is that correct .

Last edited:
I have a 94 also. When I first got mine it did something similar. I found it to be the security feature. To enable it to run I had to put my key in the door and lock and unlock it. Also under the steering wheel is a little chip card that needs to be in place snuggly. If it gets bumped and loose it wont keep running. Just try it you have nothing to lose. I hope I can help someone and someone can help me.

check the ground wire on your fuel sending unit. I have a 96 XJ that did damn near the same thing. After a lot of looking around, replacing a couple sensors here and there I discovered that the ground was damn near completely off. I pulled fuel pump assembly back out, carefully disconnected the ground from the sending unit and then re-soldered it back in place. You may also want to check where that same wire that feeds through the harness is grounded to the body. It should be behind the drivers side rear quarter panel in the back. That was a pretty crappy ground on mine as well so I pulled it off, fired up the grinder, got down to some bare metal and then re attached it. After doing all this it fired right up and I've had no issues since. hope this helps! good luck!

far as the crankshaft sensor goes it might stay running it might not. depends if it's flaky or not. I can tell you this, if your going to replace it spend the extra money and get one from the dealer. Aftermarket crank sensors, especially in chryslers can be pretty shitty (mainly why they are about half the price).

Back