Jeep Liberty question

jzjohnz

Have a 2006 Liberty Sport 6cyl/auto with ~70k miles on it. Lately, when I back out of my driveway I get a light popping sound coming from the right front wheel area. Don't ever hear the sound, or feel the pop, when moving forward though. I'm hoping it's not a faulty strut but that's what it sounds like it could be.

Any other reason for this sound? If it is the strut making that sound, does it need replacing or is it a benign thing?

Thx.....

image-missing.png

Check sway bar links.

Thanks, I'll check them too, but I'm thinking it's the right side ball joint because I get a series of 'pops' & 'bumping' sounds from that side of the vehicle when I make a tight left turn.

image-missing.png

Check sway bar links.

Turned out it wasn't the ball joints or the sway bar links. I tried to diagnose the front end problem myself by jacking up the vehicle but my floor jack wouldn't hold pressure (Harbor Freight) so I took it into a local tire shop & they checked it out for $15. They said it was the bushings on the right front lower control arm that were worn & gave me a quote to replace them which was almost as much as they wanted for replacing the ball joints.

Is this something that your average home garage mechanic can replace or is the coil spring pressure too heavy for doing something like that yourself?

You could do it yourself there are many videos and threads out there on this. The bushing on top of the axel is known to go bad and difficult to replace.

Last edited:
Back