Grand Cherokee Diff Noise?

JackSparrow

Hey all. I just bought a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Everything is stock. 120 kms and it's been taken care of (as far as I can see)

When I folded the rear seats down to carry a bicycle in the back, I noticed that I could hear a noise form the rear end when accelerating lightly enough that the engine noise didn't drown it out and when letting off of the throttle completely at speed. It was a gear-like sound - no squealing, whining, or growling. There is no play in the U-joint.

I presume that this is normal noise from the gears interfacing, but it's been so long since I've driven a jeep that I am not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me.

Any input would be appreciated appreciated

I did noticed this noise when I was test driving the jeep with the seats up, but it was so quiet I could barely hear it, and I couldn't figure out how to repeatedly induce the noise.

It sounds strange but in my car I heard a similar noise. It was the nut that held down the spare tire. Not sure if this applies to a JGC

Try changing out the differential oil and see if you still have the same noise. Your fluid may be dirty or low. Not a big deal to do if you have a friend who has a lift to put her up on. Don't just let this funny noise go on and on. My master mechanic always told me that little noises become big noises and the louder the noise the more it will cost to fix.

Back