Richiejr

Hello Jeep friends,

I have been strugling with this problem for some time now and never get a good answer from any mechanics. I really need help with diagnosing this problem! So when I make turns both left and right I get this sort of jolt/crank noise. I can feel it in the steering wheel and it is pretty loud. The turn is not consistent as the wheel is sort of jolting and it feels as though it winds up and wants to turn the other way. Some days its worse than others and some days it doesn't even do it! I haven't noticed any correlation with weather and its affects. It really is hit or miss but lately its been doing it all the time. I have been told that it is either my cv axle or my differential. Please help guys I am making a 1000 mile trip in about a month and really need to figure out whats wrong and fix it. Oh by the way lol its a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.7 4X4

Thanks!!

What size tires?

I'd first start with lifting the front end off the ground by the axel and have someone turn the heel full right and left to see if anything touchés. While off the ground check the ball joints and main bearing by doing the 12-6 and 3-9 shake respectively. Then do the same with the tires on the ground and look for loose tre, track bar control arm bushings.

I had an '05 Limited with the 5.7L. The steering wheel had a pretty good click when turning, it's an internal ring clicking on the turn signal stalk. Jeep issued a repair kit or you can file away at the turn signal stalk until the wheel turns smoothly.

Sounds like your problem is worse, like the steering wheel is resisting your input. Am I right?

What size tires?

I'd first start with lifting the front end off the ground by the axel and have someone turn the heel full right and left to see if anything touchés. While off the ground check the ball joints and main bearing by doing the 12-6 and 3-9 shake respectively. Then do the same with the tires on the ground and look for loose tre, track bar control arm bushings.

Probably should have mentioned it's totally stock..recently did the 12-6 3-9 test..just replaced upper and lower ball joints and both struts car has little over 100k

It really does feel like its rubbing or grinding rather..not rubbing any place i double checked..would the diff have anything to do with it?

Totally right the best way I think to describe it would be a rub/grinding noise and feel in my steering wheel however it definitely feels like its coming from something below my feet like the diff area and only when I turn.. ohh boy this is driving me nuts lol

You did the shake testing. Did you do the other checks with. Tires up and touching down?
Also check your axel and driveshaft u joints. There should be no play in them.

Back