2002 Grand Cherokee leaking coolant

Lori

Hi. My Jeep is leaking coolant. It is most noticeable in the morning when it is cold. The other day, a friend and I were trying to get I to leak and could not get it to do it. Today, while cold, it was slowly dripping and when I started it, the dripping increased. I was able to see it dripping down between the oil pan and the exhaust pipe when I got underneath it. There is no smoke from the exhaust pipe. We haven't gotten it up on a rack yet because there was no real pattern to it. I appreciate any guidance. Thank you!

Hello and welcome to jeepz.com . I believe your 2002 should have a 4.7 liter V8 ? It sounds like a by-pass heater hose but rather than guess it would be easier to advise you to have it pressure tested or perform this yourself of you can get a pressure tester. Try your local autozone to see if they can either rent the tester or maybe they would be willing to perform it for you. It's a very simple test which only involves removing the radiator cap and installing the pressure tester in its place. Air is pumped into the radiator and pressure is introduced thereby forcing coolant from anywhere a leak can happen. It's likely you have a hose band that is loose or old coolant hoses in need of change but the first step is to find where the leak originates from and if any others exist. The fact that you observed the leak from the side of the engine leads me to believe it may be a hose but the pressure test will confirm this leak and any others . It is best to find out if you have any old hoses which are in need of replacement since it's always best to replace them at once and flush and refill the system. You may want to check the serpentine belt while your under the hood as well. Hope this helps . Your welcome to post back your findings when you can. Thank you for your membership here at jeepz.com .

As Greg says the pressure test is a safe fast and easy way to test for leaks in your cooling system. Another way is to take an old blanket and throw it on the ground under your jeep while it is running and using a flashlight to locate the leak, I have already replaced a few heater hoses on my 2000 Grand and it has over 200,000 miles on it. Thats not to say that you might have a freeze plug leaking or as mentioned earlier a water pump leak. Being proactive and finding the leak and fixing it will save you alot of money. Some members on here might not agree with me but I have used Bars Leak TM cooling system repair to fix alot of cars and trucks including Jeeps, It can be found in almost any Auto Store or Walmart and I have seen it in the Dollar Store. I hope this helps

Thanks brother . Those pressure testers are indispensable. Bailed me out too many times. Wondering how Lori's jeep is doing ? Hey , how's your Grand making out ?

I hope Lori comes back and gives us an update on her cooling system troubles. as for me my grand has not skipped a beat sense I did the fuel pressure check and wiring exam ?

Well , let's hope Lori has faired well . Great to hear the Grand is doing its thing ! Thanks for the update and want to say that the thread on your drivability problem is very interesting ! I just know after reading many posts on GC's of your model year that many must have taken interest since I've heard of this kind of problem before . Got to get my hands on my dad's '99 one of these days when it's not being run into the ground on a daily basis !

Hello Friends,
My mechanic friend has diagnosed a freeze plug issue! He will work on it very soon. Thank you for you help, comments and suggestions.

Hello Lori ! Thank you for the update . I'm sure all will be fine and you will have your jeep back in no time . Just happy for you that all worked out and will be a common repair . Thanks again , Greg

Back