finally got around to putting the 98 xj engine back together

superj

that free 98 two door i got in the summer. well, we finally put it back together. with some cranking, she finally got primed and then we started her up. not the quietest engine but as long as she runs good and doesn't leak oil everywhere, it will work.

we do have to drop the oil pan though. when i got home yesterday afternoon, my son had already put the pan on and was waiting for me for the intake and stuff and he tells me the oil pan gasket was snapped back where it curves around the rear main seal. i asked if he got another and he said no, he though it would work and put it on. we dropped it and lathered rtv on the corner to see if it would work but when he put the pan back up, he somehow go the gasket half in place and half sticking out so it leaks pretty steadily. i told him i will just buy another gasket and we will just have to drop it, again.

other then that though, the cherokee is coming around nicely.

Congrats. How close to road ready is it?

oil pan and put the front end (grill, radiator, lights, ac stuff) and then its ready for inspection

Got it all back together minus the new oil pan gasket. Looks great, doesn't sound great though. Might need to get another engine just in case

ok, after replacing the oil pump, this jeep sounds alot better. i am glad we pre-oiled and didn't take it out for any joy rides. that could have ended horribly.

anyways, all that is left is a new rear window and a new catalytic converter and she will be ready for inspection. for some reason, when you hit the brakes, the rear window defroster light on the button lights up and the third brake light doesn't light up. i am not sure how those are connected so once we get another window in place, we are going to see who that effects that third brake light and maybe have to pull the headliner and trace some wires. hopefully not though. then jason, my son, can start driving it around. he got his driver's license yesterday so he is super excited

It is likely a ground path. Somewhere those two share a ground and the defrost is being powered by the brake light when the brake is pressed. The defroster is a resistor and likely is dropping enough voltage when the brake is pressed limiting the current, so the bulb doesn't get hot enough to illuminate. If you had a LED in for a 3rd brake light, you wouldn't notice. Though, without the window there is no resistor. So I'd look at the connector or the wiring lead nearest the door.

Last edited:
We pulled a window at the junkyard yesterday and found where the wires from the defroster and third brake light run so we know what trim to remove for that. It all runs down the driver's side. Might get to mess with it today, might not since we have a birthday party to go to in a bit

Yup, just today we finally got out into the garage.

The wires were all broken in the rubber boot that goes from the door to the jeep body. We had a heck of a time getting all those wires and rubber deal out and then getting it all back in properly. But, it all works now, and the rear wiper sprayer now works.

Rear window seal is on the way and a place will put it in for us for 100 bucks. Then, new cat and its off to inspection and jason can drive it to school.

We put the Rubicon rims on it, just to see how it looks. Looks good

ok, new rear window is in and jeep drives pretty dang well for being torn down for so long. only problem is a rough idle, still. it seems like its not firing on all the cylinders. like no1 or no2 is not firing. i believe it will be no2 as that was the one that was not firing previously when the cap had a small crack in it. with all new wires, cap, plugs, and rotor though, it should now be firing fine.

before, that plug was soaking wet, thats what led to the new stuff. now, it is a lot smoother but you can still feel its not right and when you accelerate and then come to speed and hold it so the rpms drop to cruising rpms, the jeep bucks rhythmically, like its missing on one cylinder.

the jeep stays at a good temp, the oil and water are clear, there are no oil leaks at all but, the oil pressure is low, 14ish at idle and 40 at speed. it seems the original pump being bad might have caused us some trouble after all.

ruh roh, i spoke to soon, there is water in the oil now. junkyard motor time, it appears

went to the junkyard yesterday in 40 something degree weather to pull a head for the cherokee. the first grand cherokee we came up to said running on the windshield, so we just pulled hte whole motor. it is clean and there was even freon still in the ac system so hopefully this engine is good.

Ok guys, success! The new engine is so smooth and powerful compared to the old one with two dead cylinders, ha ha ha.

But, some info for people who might have to replace their engines in the future.

99 grand cherokee 4.0 heads don't have the hole where the idler pulley screws in so you will have to use the grand cherokee ac and alternator mounts, which won't fit your standard xj compressor and alternator. Which in turn makes the ac stick up high enough that you cannot close the hood so you will have to get your safety inspection with no hood (which is legal in texas, I just found out by trying it).

But, it bolts in and all the wires hook up properly and everything except the ac works because the compressor has a different connection for the ac line.

So, Jeep runs and has a 140 amp alternator but no ac.

we can't until we get new plates. that is set for friday. i think what i am going to do for now is to get a shorter belt and take the compressor off so we can put the hood back on and then just keep hitting hte junkyard for the 00-01 cherokee accessory mounts

ok, took compressor off and put shorter hose on and everything worked perfectly. we are running only the electric fan since mechanical one sits so close to the radiator that it hits on hard acceleration but the jeep stays dead at the half mark on the temp gauge. (the mechanical fan hits because the water pump is different for a grand cherokee that it is for the cherokee)

i got the new plates and stickers yesterday and we drove it around for the evening doing all our running around. reminds me how comfortable and nice cherokees are compared to other vehicles, even wranglers.

the kids took that to school this morning so they are in their own vehicle now and i have my truck back for truck type of junk- hardware store runs, hauling junk, etc

Finally, pics of the cherokee ready for daily driving.

We have to figure out why the radio adapter kit leaves a gap underneath. That is the proper one for that year cherokee but it came out with a large gap.

That radio is so cool too. It was 20 bucks and Bluetooth to the phone, has a memory card slot, auxiliary in port, usb, and has normal am/fm. No more stupid cd slot, either. And the craziest thing is its half the depth of a normal single or double din radio so the wiring harness isn't all jammed and squished behind it. I am going to put one in the old wrangler once I get the wrangler fixed up completely. I only use the "radio" part of a car stereo anyways so it's perfect. And the Bluetooth so you can use the speakers to hear the conversation on the phone helps alot. That radio is at walmart, if anyone wants to check them out

Back