97 laredo mux/t tow HELP

Cc00per

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L v8 overdrive. I was driving home from work monday night and my car just completely died in the middle of the road. Long story short, i had it towed to my mechanic and they worked on it for 2 days and the only answer they came up with was the the mux/t tow fuse was draining the battery. Its the 50 amp mux t tow fuse. They said they couldnt fix it there. So i now have my car sitting in front of my house. My first question is if I just jump the battery can I drive the car? If so, for how long? Can I remove the fuse thats draining the battery just to drive to and from work? What can I do to fix the problem? I really do not want to get rid of my car. I love my car and will do anything to fix it. I just need the steps in the right direction. Please help

Welcome to jeepz.com .
Use the search and look for " MUX/T TOW fuse draining battery ". It is a five page thread that is quite helpful and informative . It dates back but since this problem has reared its ugly head again , we hope you'll find this thread and its lengthy discussion helpful toward finding the source of your problem.

I wouldn't operate the Jeep without that fuse, a quick google search indicates it will kill your gauge cluster and stop lights.

The same search revealed that it's a common problem on your model jeep. Here's one suggestion as to a possible source of the draw:
"There is a 20amp fuse inside jeep on passenger kick panel. First one closest to firewall. Pull that and If the drain goes away you have a bad BCM I THINK. I wired a switch in line between that fuse and the BCM and I cut the switch off when i cut off the key and all is well so far. I wasnt willing to spend$300 on a new BCM"

Back