2006 Liberty 3.7 knocking noise

98Chero

My girlfriends liberty just started a knocking noise in the engine this morning. it has 137.000 miles and I have been servicing it on a regular basis, oil and filter, air cleaner. I popped the hood and started the engine and the it sounds like the knocking noise is coming from the back of the engine. besides the knocking noise it runs great. I did a forum search before I started this thread and I came up with only one post
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cherokee...06-jeep-liberty-total-engine-replacement.html

I hope this is not the case in my girlfriends v6 3.7 engine ? just asking if the main bearing problem is common in these engine.

What was I thinking ? If my Dad was still alive he would beat my a@@ for posting this before looking into the problem deeper ! I had to go Old School on this engine and used a extra long 3/8 extension and put it on different parts of the engine to find where the sound was coming from. Checked both valve covers front and back and no knocking sound coming from them. listened alittle closer to the sound and was coming from the front of the engine (not the back) Then I took a flashlight and started looking around the engine and found that the waterpump was leaking and I am sure that sound is where its coming from because Her coolant container was empty and the low coolant level probably burnt the bearings up ? so I cant brag to you members how good i am about checking fluid levels etc... but I wont tell her that :love:

Reguardless if the knock is coming from the water pump or not it sounds like it needs replaced. I am not sure how hard they are on that engine but on the 2.5 in a TJ the hardest part is removing the fan shroud.. Which I cheated on and cut it in half then when reinstalling it drilled holes next to the cut and used the straps to put it back together

I'm with XT master. Replace the water pump, and replace the coolant. Once that is taken care of you can reassess the knocking.

I just did a waterpump on my TJ and it's wan't too hard. Just rent the free waterpump tools from your local parts store.

You Guys the water pump on this Liberty looks very easy to replace. I just bought one at a local parts house, it was only 48 bucks and came with the pulley already installed.. Sweet ! its built by Gates and the parts house didnt even ask me for a core. I will put it on tomorrow and I hope this will end all troubles for Her Liberty for awhile :pray:

loss of coolant is what killed out liberty. once it started knocking, it was done.

hopefully yall's doesn't follow the same path

waterpump2 copy.jpgI got lucky on this one ! I replaced the water pump and all is back to normal. On this 3.7 engine the water pump was not hard to change, just take the belt off and remove one idler pulley 15mm wench and 13 mm wrench/socket to remove the water pump. I think most people with basic mechanics knowlege could do this themselves. keep in mind that all the water pump bolts are not the same size, so keep track of where they go. the required coolant is a little bit more expensive than your used to but dont cut any corners when you get a lucky break like this. this pic shows the cracks in the water pump. I hope it well help others before its to late.

Last edited:

dang, crazy cracks. glad thats all it was

Back