Blower stopped, smoke from the dash, turn signals don't blink...

JamesTheScot

Hey guys,

So it's sweltering hot last week and I get into my 94 Jeep Cherokee Country (automatic, 4.0L) and crank on the AC. The blower starts momentarily and then cuts off. Soon thereafter I smell that unique electrical fire smell and smoke starts pouring from under the dash primarily around the steering column. I think at first there was also smoke from under the dash on the passenger side as well. I parked it and cut it off and the smoke stopped. I could find no fire, so I suspect it was hot wiring and melting plastic. Upon starting it up about an hour later, it started fine, but the blower would not come on, but there was no smoke either. I could feel cold air being pushed through the vents as I drove, leading me to believe that the AC compressor is working fine, but the blower is not pulling air through the vents (obviously).

I had recently had the AC recharged with refrigerant but I don't think that's related.

The blower has intermittently stopped a handful of times over the years, but normally just for a moment. If I turned on the AC and the blower didn't come on, cutting the AC off and returning the blower speed switch to low and then turning the AC back on would always fix it, and it would work through all speeds. This was something that would happen once every few months or a couple of times a year...and again, just for a moment. It always came back on with no other symptoms. I assumed it was probably just an old switch and aging electrical contacts.

Also, the turn signals sporadically blink. They always come on. But they only blink some of the time. They have been this way since I bought the Jeep 9 years ago. Since the smoke seemed to be coming from the steering column, I don't know if there could be a common problem in the column, or if the two are completely unrelated.

I never noticed any unusual noise from the blower that would indicate bad bearings and thus more load, but as far as I know it's the original blower, so it could be failing.

So from what I have read, if the blower motor is dying, it will draw more current, which can burn out the resistor, which can then cause wiring and switches to melt. Do I have it right?

Any suggestions on where to start in terms of testing components to see what needs to be replaced and how to diagnose and fix the underlying cause(s)?

Thanks in advance.

Wires to and from the blower motor have been issued in Tj for years. And yes if the motor is going it will draw more current and the wires become heater elements with all resistance and current. Look into a new blower motor if it's making noise. Replace the wiring and connectors and be sure the ground connections are clean. The select switches and resistor can be damaged as well.

As for the blinkers look at what other wires or ground connections are corroded. Clean and correct them.

Wires to and from the blower motor have been issued in Tj for years. And yes if the motor is going it will draw more current and the wires become heater elements with all resistance and current. Look into a new blower motor if it's making noise. Replace the wiring and connectors and be sure the ground connections are clean. The select switches and resistor can be damaged as well.

As for the blinkers look at what other wires or ground connections are corroded. Clean and correct them.

I've pulled the resistor and it looks fine. I also pulled the blower motor on the assumption that it may be the root cause regardless.

Are there any tests for the motor to verify if it's dying other than noise?

I did find a problem with the fuse block under the driver side dash. Fuse socket #15, the AC socket, had melted. The fuse was melted into the block!

I don't know what in the heck happened because I would think that the fuse should have burned up and thus broken the circuit. But I have to assume that that the smoke was that fuse melting into the fuse block. So now I definitely need a new fuse block. Anyone know if that is a simple plug and play replacement or does it require soldering?

It looks like the fuse block damage is limited to that socket. But I'm just amazed that the fuse lasted long enough for the heat to build and melt a crater into the block.

So, anyone think I have other electrical gremlins to chase down or should replacing the blower motor, resistor and fuse block solve the problem?

BTW, a buddy of mine asked me if the clutch stuck when the AC compressor was engaged and that caused the burn up. I don't know what he's talking about. Anyone?

Back