Why has my engine coolant vanished?

laredo2006

A few months ago I did an engine coolant flush at a local Garage franchise and instead of adding me the red-pink engine coolant they put me that universal **** green yellow colored engine coolant. Could that be a reason why this morning the engine coolant is gone? Or another reason? Thanks.

If they completely drained and flushed with water then it is unlikely the cause. If you mixed dextron with green then the dextron will turn to sludge.

You should have been overheating prior to no fluid.

How did you find no coolant? Just checked or did you overheat?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Hi, I think I overreacted. I checked in the sunlight and there was at least an inch of coolant fluid left on my 2006 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo.

I went and bought some, they gave me a Chrysler one and it's orange colored. I went back inside and told them you're driving me nuts. First they put me that yellow green fluid now they're giving me an orange one. They were all like no no no it doesn't matter what color you put as long as it's premixed. I left shaking my head. You tell me...

If I were you I'd first find the cause, fix it. Then flush with water, completely drain it and use the recommended HOAT and distilled water mixture.
PS zerex G-05 is. HOAT

Last edited:
Laredo2006
so your gona top it off and check it after the next time you drive it and see if you are still using fluid. If its still leaking I hope its not your heater core.

I'll have to throw my 2 cents in and say that getting the right coolant has become surprisingly difficult. For my Jeep I ended up going to the dealership and buying some - the price was within 20% of my local parts shop. I had to go to 3 different shops before I found coolant that was compatible with my wife's Honda.

I know things are better now, but I do kind of miss the days when there the only difference in coolant was the brand.

Hi guys, so I found out it's not an engine coolant leak but an oil leak coming from the timing chain cover. I also filled up the engine coolant reservoir last night, and looked this morning before and after driving to work and the level was the same. Except a few mm higher after driving to work. If you know anything that can help out or care to read my issue here is the new thread:

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cherokee...-2006-4-7-jeep-grand-cherokee.html#post339896

Thanks

First off as you are finding out not many shops really know what they are doing. It is best to read up a little and do the job yourself. It is really not that hard to flush your coolant system. I have found that doing the flush twice is best. After you do the flush pull your radiator out and hook your garden hose up to it and back flush it and a whole lot more junk may come out. It is a pain but you will see and know your system better. That being said, in flushing the system you may have developed a pin hole in your radiator, especially if it is a slow leak. You can fix that with a stop leak that is the flake type, either copper or aluminum. You can go to WalMart or one of the chain auto supply stores and get the antifreeze you need a lot cheaper than a dealership. I get the full strength and dilute it myself.

I know its too late now but,first off is to find out what type of coolant they put into it by taking it back and physically showing the manager/owner the coolant in the vehicle to determine what type of coolant was put in it and have THEM top it off with the SAME coolant. Personally I NEVER let ANY Garage touch my vehicles,Especially dealership's ! Unless it's for warranty items that are expensive or extremely labor intensive. It's a matter of Googling and reading articles /watching videos (numerous articles/videos) of trouble shooting/repairing,some are "hicks" some are not ! YOU decide which to believe. The better ones will inform you of what tools you need and the torque values (double check with other sources) for any fasteners. You can usually save enough money to pay for the tools needed doing it yourself and the piece of mind it was done correctly. Sorry this was so long.

It ended up being a water pump leaking coolant and oil? And a crackshaft seal oil leak. Getting it fixed thanks all.

Good luck with it all. Thanks for writing back as other future readers will look for what worked for others. Left open threads often don't help.

Good luck!

Back