cherokee dana 30 disconnect or no disconntect????

Benskate1

Im getting a new front axle oil seal for the passanger side so when under articulation all my diff fluid will stop spilling out. The part is different if you have a disconnecting or non-disconnecting front axle. I've got the command trac t-case so I'm pretty sure its a disco. But I just need a second opinion. Thanks![addsig]

You should be able look under the jeep and see the disconnect housing on the passenger side of the axle. Its a round brass thingy that looks like a small brake booster. It should also have a little skid under it. You cant miss it.

If you have a housing then your axle is the disconnect kind. Otherwise the non-disconnect kind. I know that TJ's have no axle disconnect...which means the driveshaft spins all the time. YJ's and some XJ's (not sure about the newer ones) have a vaccum disconnect system that disengages the passenger side axle...(IE driveshaft no spin when disconnected)[addsig]

Depends on what year XJ you have. Take a look at the pass. side axle tube, are there vacuum lines running to a large vacuum diaphram behind the axle?[addsig]

Back