serpentine belt

ballanceg

Is there an easier way to put a new serpentine belt on. We've followed the directions of loosening the bolt (at the top of the water pump) and the nut (at the bottom of the water pump) and then loosening the adjustment bolt. Ths does give us enough release on tension to thread the belt over the last wheel. We took off the idler and ran the belt and then tried to put the idler back on with the same bad luck.
Bottom line - we can't get enough tension released to get the sepentine belt over the last wheel. We've loosened the bolt so much we are afraid it's going to fall out.

Any ideas?null[addsig]

Is the engine a 4-cylinder? On the 6-cylinder, the Power steering pump is what pivots to release the belt tension. You have to be sure to loosen two bolts in the rear in order for it to pivot.

-Nick[addsig]

Thanks. I have an in-line 6 cylinder. I found one bolt on the back of the water pump to loosen. I loosened 2 on the front (facing the front of the vehicle) and then used an adjusting bolt below the pump to supposedly release tension. That's when we decided to loosen the bolt on the rear of the water pump. I'll look tomorrow for the 2nd bolt on the back of the pump. Thanks.[addsig]

That's interesting that the water pump is the tension adjusting point. Good luck with it :-D [addsig]

When i replaced my water pump i went through the same thing except to get the belt off. You have to undo 3 bolts on the power steering pump to release it and then you have to use the adjusting bolt to release the tension. Unfortunately, i don't think mine was moved in years and was frozen in place. So I had to take a wrench and hammer and beat on the power steering pump to get it to move.

This is the only thing that needs to be loosed in order to remove and put back on the belt.

Be careful not to pivot the water pump while the engine is hot and the coolant is under pressure. :twisted:

6 cyl or 4 cyl - doesn't matter, the power steering pump is the pivot. An exception would be if you do not have power steering, then there is an idler pully in it's place and the mount for it does the same.

"Posted: Jul 20, 2003 - 02:00 PM"

Think that jeeper's gotten it fixed since then? Not to mention this jeeper has 0 posts, so they haven't posted since the last forum changeover. Very old post.

Hmm... Bounty, I just noticed that... I agree with Hatemaker 22 , I thought it was the power steering pump that was the pivot point, at least, it's that way with my buddy's '95 XJ...

Holy thread revival batman!! lol Every 4 liter I6 vie ever seen pivoted on the power steering pump for removing the serpentine belt.

i think you mean a 1/2 socket cause a 1/4 would probably snap in half with the amount of torque put on the tensioner. this is good to know though since i need to replace my belt asap

After releasing the tensioner as much as you can, you have to use a screw driver to put the new belt on.
That shouldn't be too hard to complete.
Saar.

Back