What RPM do y'all shift at?

iowaboy

I was reading another thread where someone mentioned that friggin' annoying little shift light on the dash of his TJ. He said that for one tank of gas, he shifted whenever it told him to, and that it got better mpg. Personally, I think that light is incredibly....STUPID. Sometimes it'll come on when I'm going 35 - 40 mph in 4th gear, and there ain't no WAY I'm gonna shift into 5th at that speed. Actually, I should just pull the dang fuse. Is there a special fuse for just that light, or will it kill the whole dash?

I shift at 2000 RPM, but I have a friend that says that's too low...he shifts at 2500 - 2800 RPM. What's the consensus among you guys? :shock:

around 2200 or so i normally shift..yeah that stupid light tells me to shift into 3rd at 15 sometimes..eh..i hate it

And this whole time I just thought the light was off because of the big tires.I get the RPM's crankin' and shift at about 2500.(from 1st to second or 2nd to 3rd)I hate that light.

I just listen to the engine...........speedo doesnt work anymore.........and never had a tach............so its all done by ear

to heck with the light, it goes off if you let-off or hit the gas, I usually judge by the seat of my pants (Feel the Engine) that usually allows me to shift clutchless. But then I have owned only one Automatic. I started learning to drive a standard at 12 I be danged of a computer is going to tell me when to shift. Then again I usually shift before the light comes on also.

Hi,

I try to shift around 2000 RPMs in all gears, but will go up to like 2400 RPMs at times when shifting from 4th to 5th. I don't think it's to low to shift at for the 4.0L engine, but listening to your particular engine is always the best thing you can do :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

you could pull the bulb.
i noticed the same thing in my truck. i just wanted to see when it would tell me to shift. i held it just under 30 and it wanted me to shift all the way up to 5th. the truck definately didn't like that. nice deep rumbling.

i really hate that damn light. never had one before. i can definately do without it.

Thank god someone said something about that damn light. I always thought it was just me. I dont think i could make it up ANY hills if i listened to it and shifted when it says. To answer the question tho, i shift between 2400 and 2800.

I usually shift between 2000 and 2500 depending on how quickly I want to accelerate. Does anyone know what the Redline is for a 258 off hand. I never go above 3000 because I know that's the end of the powerband anyway but I am just curious what the max was.

Poser 4x4 notice:

I let her go until just into the red... Just kidding. Usually around 2500. Pull that light. I did almost immediately. Mine wouldn't go off in 5th, ever. Put it in 5th light went on and stayed, really annoying. I really don't need my jeep to think for me, at least not at that level :)

i shift by ear.. the ideal shift poing varies by how hard you're on the gas, gear, incline, etc.... the light (and shifting at a specific RPM) is for people who are new or lazy... listen to your engine. it will tell you when to shift.. the pitch will change....

well, being a 4-banger with 168K miles and 33's, I shift at 2500 rpms for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but I don't shift until 3200 rpms going into 4th on the interstate. I need every drop of power to get up to 55 and even then I have to jump in front of somebody doing 70 in the slow-poke lane. But that's what they get for speeding in my lane.

C

I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislikes that **bleepin** shift light. People who know how to drive a stick will never use it, and those that DON'T know how to drive a stick would get into a wreck by staring at the damn dash instead of the damn road! How do idiotic ideas like that get approved at board meetings?? :x

derff96963 said:
I usually shift between 2000 and 2500 depending on how quickly I want to accelerate. Does anyone know what the Redline is for a 258 off hand. I never go above 3000 because I know that's the end of the powerband anyway but I am just curious what the max was.

I think red line is 4k on a 258.But I am prolly wrong.With my 258 I shift at about 2500.Highest I have ever gone was 3100, and it felt like the jeep was going to explode!

The light is for peak efficiancy. It is to try to tell you when it will be most efficiant to shift. You will get better gas mileage if you shift when you get the light. You will also drive like a little old grandma.

I shift somewhere in between vvrroomm and vvvrrrooommm. No tack just ear and vibs.

the light is triggered by the map sensor... when the intake pressure reaches a certain value, it suggests that you have a certain load that would be suitable for shifting...

as for shift point... it all depends.... don't baby your engine, especially if it is somewhat new... you want those piston rings to seat right... and if it is old, and broken in properly, you should be able to take it up there without problems... just not all day...

on road, i shift at about 2000 to 2800... accelerating, i'll go to about 3200 sometimes... but when offroad... and you need to get things spinning... dont be afraid to take it to 4 or so now and then... just don't stay there too long... there is a redline for a reason... it is the crutial point of the rpm band where damage may occur... revving, especially under load, to anything under redline is perfectly fine for a healthy engine... there are times i take off on the street where i'll get up almost to 4k.... and there are times i'll hold speed at 35 in 2nd gear (with 31" tires, whatever speed that would calculate to) for quite some time... and engine is designed to spin... and especially when it is under moderate load to keep a maintained control... it is fine to whoop on it here and there

Back