HELP!!! is changing a starter a pain in the ass\/

elblancoYJ

i have 95 YJ and my starter has gone out. i was wondering if anyone knows if it is too difficult to change one yourself, and how much an oem starter might cost, mines a four cylinder and i need help on this one. websites, links, and input would be very helpful!!!!!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I replaced mine on my 89 and it is quite easy. I had mine rebuilt by an Auto Electric shop for fifty bucks and it works great. I would think that an AC DELCO starter would run between one and two hundred dollars.[addsig]

I don't know what the 4 cylinder starter is like to change but if it's anything like the 4.0L starter it's very easy. It took me about 15 minutes to pull my old one out and put the new one in. It consists of two nuts holding on the positive and negitive wires and two bolds holding the starter on......and make sure you disconnect the battery before doing this.[addsig]

thanks everyone for replying. i had it towed to goodyear and 266.84 later it was running again with a brand new ac delco starter. OUCH!!!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

You got extremely ripped off. I bought mine brand new for $95. Canadian and it olny takes 15 minutes to change.[addsig]

yeah, you did get ripped. it sits right on the bottom of your engine on the passenger side. It's held in by 2 long bolts. I had a bolt break off in the engine block, and with some tap-outs, It still only took 30 minutes to replace. Got a reman- starter for $105. Buy a haynes manual and look at stuff before paying joe mechanic $60/hour.

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back