bad cat and oil smells like gas

jugghead23

Anyway, my exhaust starting making this 'can of rocks' sound yesterday so I took it to a local mechanic today just to have him take a peek. I got under and nothing seemed to have come loose (heat sheild etc).

So the mechanic looked at it and said "bad news, I think its your cat"... I said "Actually, thats not bad news because the cat is still under warranty."

Anyway, while I was there, I had them do a quick 'Sunday Special' oil change for 10.99. Now, I have no reason to mistrust this mechanic (yet) but since I've only gone there a couple times before (to help me free frozen torx etc) I kept a close eye on the oil change.

Nothing suspicious...saw a new filter go in, saw him replace the plug without using excessive force (in other words, he didn't strip the threads) and watched him put oil in.

Anyway, got home and just to double check, I checked the oil level and I noticed that the oil smelled like gasoline.

I got to reading a little tonight and it seems that is potentially very bad? I also read that the honeycomb inside a cat could go bad by gasoline getting in there?

Could these problems be related...could it be the oil this little roadside mechanic put in my jeep just wasn't up to snuff?

Say there is gas leaking into my oil...what kind of damages/repairs are we talking here?

thanks in advance for any help

gas in the oil = a bad thing... if that is what is happening.. I wouldn't drive it or start it till you find out if that is the case... enough fumes in the block could be very bad for your health (as in big BOOM)... I don't know how gas could get in the oil, there is nothing that I ave ever heard of that will cause that (but that doesn't mean it can't happen somehow). the oil is heavier, the gas will float on top... check the dipstick for signs of anything suspicious in the oil level.

just my .02 worth

Good thing you caught the bad cat before 80K.

Coolant can get into the oil, but never heard of gas. Get a second opinion on the smell.

not sure about gas.. but when coolant gets in the oil.. that is bad... you can eat your bearings and you'll be knocking in no time

I agree with Bounty, get a second opinion on the smell. Gas does come from refining oil, so might not be smelling fuel from your system.

Gas can get in the oil from worn piston rings or from a rich condition caused by the O2 sensor getting a bad reading. The condition is called "cylinder wash." It can damage the engine because it thins the oil out and doesn't provide enough lubrication.
Have the cat replaced and the o2 sensor checked ASAP. You probably haven't hurt the engine yet.

I agree with redrooster. I have seen a pin hole in the the intake leak gas into the engine and wash out the bearings. Change the cat and hope for the best.

Back