How much would a V8 engine swap in a TJ cost??

Nooch13

I posted earlier about the biggest tires a 4 banger TJ could handle. I love my TJ, but it is vertically challenged with only 31 inch tires. I have about 5k to play with, would that cover an engine swap? Would the stock trans and diff handle a v8? I am not talking about a monster 360 or anything, just a stock 302, 305 or 318 motor. Is that worth it, or is the previous advice about getting a new jeep the only way to go. I am looking to run 8 inches of lift and 37 inch tires, can a 6 handle that? I am really leaning towards the v8 swap if it is not a ridiculous price! Anyone have any input??

I'm sure a 6 can handle it with a regear and a few other doodads. perhaps intake and exhaust system.

First off, anybody that tells you that you CAN'T run tires bigger than 31 or 33"s tall with a 4 cylinder needs to pull their nose out of the can of paint thinner they're huffing on. You hear that the most from people who have no idea how to properly set up the WHOLE vehicle.----- ""Man, this sucks. I swapped in the K&N and the super-duper TB spacer and my Jeep still won't outrun my buddies Vette.....this 2.5l is a piece of crap!!!!"" :roll: -----
For $5,000 dollars you would have to REALLY love your Jeep to not just take it and the wad of money down to a car lot and get one that already has the 4.0 six cylinder in it. That would probably be the easiest way to go.

A 360 isn't a monster engine. An AMC 360 is just a 304 with a longer stroke and bigger bore. The same goes for comparing the Dodge 360 to the 318, or the Chevy 305 to the 350. They're the same size externally, and other than the reciprocating assembly they are pretty much the same engines and will cost the same to rebuild and install as the smaller versions. Building a 305 instead of a 350 would be robbing yourself.

the 305 is a 350 with a smaller bore.. same stroke...

don't keep the stock transmission... if you go V8, use the transmission/Tcase that is with it

Yes, same 3.48" stroke. I was aware of that, just didn't think it was needed to waste time pointing it out. Building a 305 instead of a 350 is STILL a waste of time and money. The smaller bore doesn't support good high end breathing. The stroke IS the same so there are not any RPM operating range advantages to be had from the 305, just less power from the smaller bore......it's a turd. Build a 350 or 400 if you're going Chevy.

350 swaps are pretty involved, and you will be spending a good chunk of money. Take Junkpile's advice and build a 350 or bigger. I hear the crank from a 400 put into a 350 is a great stroker motor. Use a good strong transmission, and you can probably keep your np231 t case.

I need a good W/S Wiper Motor for my 1997 Wrangler

ok, this is sounding a little more encouraging! I would love to build up a 350. What transmission would fit? Is there anywhere to go for info? what do you think it would run me overall? How about the computer and emmisions control, how do I bypass that, or is there a harness that will plug into it? I have a ton of questions, but I will start there..

I would first check out your local wrecking yards. Look for a decent 350, with the transmission and everything else already there. If it needs it, you can always have it rebuilt for around a grand

its gonna be tougher right now to find a 350 being that it is race season... but if you can find something in a junkyard out of a 4x4.. just get whatever transmission and Tcase came with it... if you go carbureted, you don't have to worry about a computer at all.. if you go fuel injected, you'll need the computer from the donor vehicle

Ok,I am going to start looking tomorrow. Isnt the ignition system and air bagsand the rest of that nonsence all controlled by the comp? I guess I would use everything from the donor truck and do it that way. how about a supercharger for the 4 banger? I know avenger makes one that makes some serious HP claims, are they worth it, or does it not even compare to an 8?

With 5000 to play with. Why not just do a 4 inch suspension lift, SYE, 33's and regear to 4.88's? You would still have money left over to play with if you go that route. Heck why not throw a locker in the rear or some new bumpers!

don't even consider the supercharger... it is way too much money for way too little gains... you can get a V8 and surpass any power you could wish for out of the 4 cyl...

i don't think the airbags would be associated with the ECC... the engine ignition would be completely different with any engine you put in

You can also find turbo chargers out of wrecking yards, but I think they kind of suck off road. I would still reccomend going to a wrecking yard and start getting some prices for 350's. I know the yards around here have plenty of them and they are very cheap compared to other engines.

I know here in michigan you can get a tuned port injected 350 with under 100,000 miles on it for under a $1000, throttle body injected 350 for under $600, and carb 350 for under $400. This is from any junkyard in my area, I have been checking for my own jeep. This is the only way i would go. And the swap isn't that difficult. I agree try to run the chevy trans and t-case if you can find them.

The best thing to do is find an older chevy 4x4 and buy the whole truck, then transplant everything into your jeep

Land of Lincoln Off-Road Adventure---Labor Day Weekend

ok, I found a 98 cherokee with a 4.0 in it at my local junkyard. I know I can get the engine dirt cheap. Would that bolt directly to my transmission? I may just do that and then take the other advice to re-gear with an sye bumpers winch etc...What do you guys think, I got my budget raised a bit too!

Ya, buying the whole thing is often the best way to do it. I just bought a '73 Chevy with a rebuilt 454 (20,000 miles ago) and all kinds of other goodies as a parts truck. It was only about $600, and everything is in very good condition.

Back