Four wheel drive not engaging

Greywolf

RE: Re: RE: Attempted theft

Sorry for the long post...

Okay so here's the deal...

Total stranger flags me and my girlfriend down this afternoon and asks if we could meet him on a local trail and pull his Cherokee out of a mud hole.

After thinking about it for a couple of minutes we decided "why not", he's a fellow Jeeper and we're always glad to help one of them out.

We drive out to the trail in her '94 Wrangler, put it in low 4 and started onto the trail head. First hole it seemed to be pulling okay and then we hit the second one. Damn... stuck. BAD!

We kep fooling around with the thing and then I noticed that neither front tire was turning. Odd, it was still in low 4. Shifted into Hi 4, still nothing.

Got down into the mud and muck and watched as she tried it. Same results. I noticed the front driveshaft was turning but no power was going to the hubs. Not being real familier with the set up on a Wrangler (I keep to my Scrambler), I started checking what I could. Nothing appeared to be broken, nothing hangin loose.

Only thing I did notice was that the little diaphragm on top of the front diff (where the vacuum line hook on) swiveled back and forth and was not tight. Is it supposed to be? Has anyone else ever had a similar problem with the front diff?

We had to get ours pulled out with a wrecker (glad we were within spiiting distance of the road), the guy who flagged us down paid (awful sporting of him I thought). Drove the Wrangler home (no issues there), picked up my Scrambler, went back and yanked his bone head-four wheel by myself as a beginner-behind back into civilazation.

Any help ya'll could offer for the Wrangler is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greywolf (Chris)

P.S. I've heard of people converting the vacuum set up to a manual one... any suggestions?

RE: oba bumper tank: max psi?

That shift module should not be loose. I say check a junkyard for a replacement. Easy to change

The vacuum diaghram can swivel slightly on the disconnect, that's not a problem. The problem is either there is no vacuum getting to the front axle, or the vacuum disconnect mounted to the front axle is bad.

Easy diagnosis. Jeep running, tires chocked, pull the vacuum lines off the disconnect. Have somebody shift the transfer case from 2wd to 4wd and back. Strong vacuum should switch back and forth between the two ports. If it doesn't, you've got a bad vacuum line or a bad vacuum switch where the lines connect to the transfer case.

RE: NW event

go with the cable disconnect - either home made or store bought - solve the woes of the vac. system altogether - i made my setup for about 10 bucks and only took about 3 hours (taking my time...) - never had a problem with my old 91 but the 89 i have now had lines eaten by battery acid when i got it so i just converted it over - no problems now... just my $.02

RE: Castrophe on the Interstate-Revolvers Save the Day

i just removed my vacuum actuator deal, pulled the vacuum actuator and shaft out, slid a spacer in, and have my fork locked in full time 4wd

miss me?

Yeah that will work too... it will operate like a TJ

RE: Re: RE: Paragon April 16th and 17th

I agree, your CAD is letting you down. also, if you were stuck in the mud, and if the Diaphram was indeed loose, I would pull the diff cover off, and fluch out the axle best you can! Good chance there is some mud in there.

I had the same problem during a blizzard this year, I went to the posi lok set up, got it second hand for a good price, everything works now and I love it!

Back